Chapter 14: Home

Esmeralda

Well the Institute sucked.

Sucked major balls.

God I hated the fucking Institute.

Nothing could make up for it.

Not the hot showers.

Not the sanitary bathrooms.

Not the warm beds.

Not the poor excuse of a son I met.

Not the scary courser he made me tote around.

Nothing.

I wanted nothing more than freedom from this underground gilded cage. I wanted to run away into Arthur's embrace and cry. I lost my son. He was alive. But I lost him to the Institute. The synth Shaun was nice. Polite and reserved. A clean slate almost. Bright kid. Or... yeah no, he was still definitely a kid.

"Mother." Ugh.

"Shaun."

"No need to be so cryptic Mother."

I continued packing my dress carefully into my bag.

"Nor should you be so secretive. What's the occasion?"

Jesus Kid give your mama a break.

"To be completely honest, I have a friend in the Brotherhood of Steel, Paladin Danse" ahem Arthur Maxson ahem "and he's invited me to the Fall Ball they host every year. If he hadn't invited me I probably wouldn't be going but I'm not going to bail on him."

Just change the name and it would have been completely honest.

"Does your friend even know you're alive and well in the Institute? I'm sure that is excuse enough not to go."

"Shaun, I can make my own choices. I am a grown woman, after all, I did have you."

"One isn't necessarily an adult once they give birth, Mother."

"No, but they are when they prepare themselves mentally, emotionally, and financially to support a family."

I could feel him staring daggers at the back of my neck.

"Is there something you want to say to me Mother?"

"There something you wanna hear Shaun?"

That shut him the fuck up.

"Very well. Have fun at your party, just remember that the Brotherhood may have helped you reach me, but now, they are no longer useful, especially to the future of the Institute."

"Bye Shaun."

"Take X6-88."

The handsome, emotionless courser?

"Shaun I already have a date, please, I don't need a guardian."

"Very well Mother, be careful. The Commonwealth is lurking with danger."

"I'm aware, thank you for the advice."

With that I zapped right out of there thanks to the courser chip in my pipboy. At least with the Institute intact, I was able to take up sewing properly. I was able to sew a dress with feathers and make a mask since the ball was a masquerade. It looked like a swan and the dress was white to match with rhinestones near the neck, mimicking a necklace. It reached 1/3 up my thigh and was tight enough but not too tight. I decided to transport just outside of the airport. I looked at the clock, realizing that a half an hour of the party had passed. My curly hair was straightened and I was ready to finally fall into Arthur's embrace. I ran into the entrance, tipping my signature green baseball cap at the soldiers. I finally made my way into the Prydwen. I ran past Ingram's quarters and stopped dead in my tracks. I looked at her door.