Chapter 15: Not yet

Esmeralda:

"No, no, no, no, NO! Of all the times, NOW? Right now?! Cade, why didn't they work?! They should have worked!"

Five hours earlier

"The absence of Doctor Filmore cannot and will not hinder the progress being done on Liberty Prime. I expect him to be ready to attack in three days. Ad Victorium!"

"Ad Victorium!"

I stood next to Arthur, proud to be one of his loyal soldiers, ready to fight against the Institute. After the fall ball and the long, teary talk I had with him about my son, we decided that moving against the Institute as soon as possible was the best course of action.

"The day is fast approaching Knight. A word?"

I nodded and we walked slowly to a secluded corner, still in sight, but out of anyone's earshot.

"Like I said, the day is fast approaching, are you sure you're alright Mer? I've hardly seen you smile."

I gave him a tired smile, the best I could manage at this point.

"Everything is just taking it's toll on me, I'll be alright. The sooner the Institute is up in smoke, the better."

He nodded and gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze, the best he could probably manage given the stares we've been getting lately.

I needed a milkshake.

I walked into the mess hall where the closest thing to a milkshake was a protein shake that tasted like sand and Brahmin shit.

"Fucking hell" I muttered to myself.

"You've picked up the soldier vocabulary quite well"

"Thank you Cade"

"Can we speak in private?"

"Sure, there's nothing here I really want anyway".

We walked in silence. I knew what this was, he was going to hand me my birth control pills and reprimand me for having sex in the first place without marrying Arthur first. He knew. Damn, everyone knew at this point. A few people saw us kiss and the rest was spread. There was a rumor going around that I was with Arthur but had Danse's child and was about to engage in something resembling polyamory. I chuckled to myself at the whispering initiates when I walked by. Cade's exam room was very clean. Or, should I say, clean as it gets in this godforsaken Wasteland.

"Very well, we're going to get you on birth control, correct?"

"Sir, yes sir."

"Okay, here, take one of these, once a day, everyday."

"Awesome thank you Captain..." I got up.

"Miss Storm?" He grabbed my arm and pulled me back down to sit.

"If I could just run a few more blood tests? I know it must be tedious to of me to keep asking you but it's... I've never had the opportunity to study the DNA of anyone who lived before the war. Even vault dwellers have been exposed to some radiation, but you're so unmutated, it's fascinating to study."

"Sure Cade, whatever you need."

He quickly wiped my skin with an alcohol swap and started to look for the vein to inject his needle. It was a small prick but I've been shot at, so I suppose it was nothing too awful.

"There we go. Thank you so much Miss. Storm, Ad Victorium."

"Ad Victorium."

I walked out gripping my arm slightly and somehow found myself at the door of Danse's quarters. I lightly rapped at the door. He opened it, not trying too hard to hide the surprise on his face.