prologue

WE BELONG TOGETHER,PROLOGUE!

WE BELONG TOGETHER,
PROLOGUE!

new cover created by the talented lantscvs !

ZAIN DHANIAL HAD been practicing these words all day. He had said them in the mirror. He had said them at breakfast. All day, he'd practiced these words. He knew they had to be said, they must be said — it was the only way! So why, why, did his throat close up the moment Luke Hemmings walked in through the door, all smiles and blissfully naive?

"Hey, I brought Thai food — I know it's your favorite, right?", Luke grinned as he walked farther into their apartment. It was tiny, but what could you expect from two budding band members who had barley received their first ever paycheck?

Zain did not smile back, and this worried Luke, but Zain's mind was far, far away in a much simpler time. He was thinking back to the beginning of their growing romance, when there was nothing expected of him. When no one knew. When Luke was still his secret.

They had met on a tour, Zain's band's tour in fact. 5 Seconds of Summer had been invited to open for New Dawn on tour, and how could they refuse the five boys who were taking the world by storm?

The moment Zain laid eyes on Luke, he was smitten. It was puppy love, infatuation. But, like far too many young boys tend to do, Zayn thought with his dick and only wanted to get in Luke's pants — initially. So, it started with fucking. And coincidentally, that's where it all really began, because Luke had let five breathy words slip during one particular night of passion.

"Fuck, I think I love you."

To Luke, it wasn't unusual. He was used to just saying how he felt, but for Zain it was an entirely different thing. It was enough to make the dark haired boy pull away with a stunned "what?" until Luke had unabashedly replied, "I love you."

They argued for days. Zain yelled constantly about how Luke couldn't love him, because it was just fucking. And Zain wasn't even sure if he was gay. And Luke yelled back about he wasn't a toy and he couldn't help it how he felt. And then they fucked, because that was what they were good at. That was what was safe. And it went on like this until one night, with Luke cuddled close to his chest, Zain had whispered, "I love you too."

From then on, everything went perfectly. It went from 'just fucking' to sneaking onto tour buses to cuddle. Everything was going perfectly... until the tabloids wound up in the hands of Ahmed Dhanial, Zain's father. And now here Zain was, having to say things he didn't mean.

Luke's smile faded as he awaited his boyfriend's greeting in return, one that never came. "What's wro—"

"We need to breakup." The word's cut through the air like a knife, before reaching their intended mark: Luke's heart. There was no sugar coating. No soft tone. Just the cold, hard truth.