II

teething danger
two
II

"Do you really believe?–" She began, Miren was Lelo's best friend. She was tall, tan and beautiful. Her deviate fingers weaved thoughtfully as she but her lip. Lelo looked up at her friend with a curious glint in her eye, "Believe what?"

"That they actually found an airbender?" She said, trying to focus on the basket weaving in her hands but her mind was far from it. The small group of women sat quietly murmuring to one another. Lelo made sure to keep her voice down if they were going to talk about the Airbender, "Gran Gran confirmed it, I can only assume we'll really find out once they wake up."

"Well..." Miren began, placing a strand of hair behind her ear as she sat back on her calves, drawing Lelo's attention, "What if...What if he's the avatar?"

Miren was quiet as she voiced her thoughts, not wanting to attract any attention to the two girls. Lelo glanced at the tent that held an unconscious could be avatar. Sokka sat disgruntled, but dutifully, out the front of the tent to ensure that no one were to go inside. Katara couldn't contain her excitement, she had to check every now and then.

"If he is, then I have no doubt we could be in danger..." she told her friend. Miren's eyes widened but before she could draw anyone's attention she returned to her basket weaving, her mind racing with any type of memory of the fire nation, "If we saw that light, I'm sure any passing boats did as well. Word can travel as fast as an avalanche. Anything strange and unusual will most likely be reported. I won't be surprised if the fire nation does show up. I can only hope that if they are the avatar...that they can save us."

Miren remained quiet, taking on her friends words. They were the oldest girls in the village besides mothers and the elderly. Sigma was Miren's older brother and since Lelo's betrothal to him, the two had grown to like one another. It hadn't been as easy in the beginning but eventually the two grew closure through the war. They would often stick close to one another, never really too far away unless Miren was babysitting her baby brother.

Immediately all attention moved towards Katara as she dragged their guest into the middle of the village.  The villagers all stood in shock as Katara introduced them, "Aang, this is the entire village. Entire village...Aang."

Lelo and Miren abandoned their work to join in as they noticed the villages hesitancy. Aang bowed in greeting only for the village to recoil into one another. Aang grew worried, leaning back to speak to Katara, "Why are they all looking at me like that? Did Appa sneeze on me?"

Lelo joined by Sokka's side as Gran Gran came forward through the crowd to address the villages reaction to the Airbender, "Well, no one has seen an Airbender in a hundred years. We thought they were extinct until my grandchildren found you."

"Extinct?" Aang asked, shock evident at her words. Lelo thought this was curious as an Airbender had no idea. Maybe he was placed into hiding and forgotten about.

"Aang, this is my grandmother." Katara introduced with a smile, but her grandmother offered nothing of comfort as she replied with her usual stern look, "Call me Gran Gran."

"What is this? A weapon? You can stab anything with this." Sokka asked him taking his stick from him. Lelo rolled her eyes as he investigated it, Miren laughing behind her hand until Aang took it back with what Lelo saw as airbending. The two girls traded looks before moving closer.

"It's not for stabbing. It's for airbending." Aang told him, pressing a button and immediately woven wings like a bird popped out of the stick. Sokka flinched in shock earning a laugh from Lelo as all the children in the village became interested in Aang's flight stick, "Magic trick! Do it again!"