IV

water bison
four
IV

Lelo never pictured herself ever in her future to be riding a flying bison, or even going to rescue an avatar. Despite this, sometime told her that the uneventual turn of events don't go to plan when the flying bison...doesn't fly. Katara took the reins since apparently they had ridden Appa before and despite the fact that he wasn't flying, Lelo felt blessed enough to have been near one none the less riding one.

"Go. Fly. Soar–" Sokka had be annoying none stop. Lelo knew he had been disheartened by the idea of a non-flying bison. His attitude wasn't helping the mission go along either.

"Please, Appa, we need your help. Aang needs your help." Katara begged leaning down to talk to Appa. Lelo leaned over the saddle, running her fingers down his fur as she looked down at the stirred up water beneath. Leaving her brother to be extra annoying.

"–up. Ascend. Elevate."

"Sokka doesn't believe you can fly. But I do, Appa. Come on, don't you want to save Aang?" Katara asked leaning down to rub his head again. The giant bison groaned in response but none the less remained in the water. Lelo didn't mind either way if they swam or flew there just as long as they finally found Aang.

"What was it the kid said? Yee haw, hip hip, wahoo..." Sokka thought out loud, searching for any type of indication that they might actually get the beast flying. Lelo thought hard about it while Sokka spoke before turning around to look at her brother, "Yip yip?" She asked looking over at Sokka. As the words left her mouth the giant bison groaned, batting its tail into the water and finally booming into the sky. Officially becoming a flying bison. Lelo watched on in awe before rushing to the back of saddle beside Sokka.

"He's flying! Katara, he's–" cried Sokka until he turned back to look at Katara who was sending him a smug look, "I mean, big deal, he's flying."

Lelo didn't miss the look of excitement on his when he turned back to look over the edge. Never in her life had she flown or even left her village except for fishing. Flying had never felt so fun or exhilarating. She felt the need to really hold onto the saddle but beside that every move Appa made to fly felt heavenly. The cold wind in her hair, brushing past her cheeks felt amazing. Nothing like canoeing at all.

It didn't take long at all to find the fire navy ship when flying on the back of a giant bison. Appa let out a loud groan at the sight of Aang. He was standing on the deck battling the commander. Lelo leans forward onto the bison's head getting ready to jump down, ready for a fight. Almost like something happened when Aang risked his life for what was left of the southern water tribe. Lelo felt indebted to him but now as she prepared herself for a very high jump she felt that Aang was more than a stranger or an acquaintance. He earned the respected her needed to become family. Especially when he was one of the most wanted people in the world for 100 years.

Lelo focused on the water around the ship, she wasn't as strong as a Waterbender but it was all she had. As they were too high up, the tiny tribe could only watch from such as height as the firebender threw flame after flame. Aang dodgers each one but drew dangerously close to the edge of the ship. The waters were so cold, he wouldn't be able to survive. Lelo shouted for Katara to get closer as the commander threw one more flame towards the avatar, Aang teetering on the edge until he's pushed back. He falls in with his whole body limp.

Katara shouts out for Aang but Lelo had already made contact with the water. The best she could she created a bubble of air around her head and swam for him. She was so close to him. He was falling so deep that when Lelo grabbed him she couldn't see how far the surface was. Suddenly Aang was awake, his eyes were flowing blue and the tattoos all over his body glowed fluorescent in the water. He turned whirling the water around him. He had no sense that she was there and she lost focus, losing her air.