VI

burning truth
six
VI

"So, a 12-year-old boy bested you and your firebenders? And all you have to show for it is some measly water tribe girl?" Commander Zhao said as he paced the floor in front of Prince Zuko, "You're more pathetic than I thought."

Lelo remained diligently beside General Iroh. She had no idea what could happen to her now. If Commander Zhao decided that Lelo was useless to the project she would be discarded and the thought of never seeing her family again greatly upset her.

"I underestimated him once but it will not happen again." Prince Zuko announced to Commander Zhao who still had his back turned. Though Lelo could see his face and for once she had never felt more scared of a man than Commander Zhao, "No, it will not, because you won't have a second chance."

Prince Zuko grew enraged in disbelief at what he heard, "Commander Zhao, I've been hunting the Avatar for two years and I—"

"—have failed!" Commander Zhao shouted in return, loosening flames across the room. Iroh looked down on the girl as she flinched away from the flames moving towards her face, "Capturing the Avatar is too important to leave in a teenager's hands. He's mine now."

Prince Zuko was quick to stand as he made a charge for Commander Zhao. The two guards stationed behind Zuko lunge after him, holding him back. General Iroh remains in his place watching and sipping his tea. For a retired General, Lelo thought he was very peculiar.

"Keep him here." He commanded while leaving the tent. To express his anger Prince Zuko kicked over a nearby table that held the tea. The commander did not turn around. General Iroh looked over the broken mess before looking towards the guards, "More tea, please."

The guards quickly pushed Prince Zuko back into his seat ensuring he would stay there. They threw a glance towards Lelo but at the look on Iroh's face abandoned any idea they had. Iroh moved his chair to face Prince Zuko. Lelo remained where she was unsure of what to expect as they sat in silence. The prince and his uncle grumbling to one another as the guards never returned with tea.

"My search party is ready." Commander Zhao announced as he returned to the tent, "Once I'm out to sea, my guards will escort you back to your ship, and you'll be free to go."

"Why? Are you worried I'm going to try and stop you?" Prince Zuko asked glaring up at the Commander. Lelo and Iroh remained quiet as the Commander laughed heartily as if Prince Zuko had just said the funniest joke.

"You? Stop me? Impossible." Commander Zhao debunked Prince Zuko, almost growling at the teenage Prince. Lelo couldn't help watch with wide eyes.

"Don't underestimate me, Zhao. I will capture the Avatar before you." Prince Zuko threatened to stand from his seat, anguish across his features as he felt diminished under the Commanders words. Underestimated. Iroh saw something that Lelo was too ignorant to foresee she realised. Watching with curious concern as Iroh stood from his seat, "Prince Zuko, that's enough!"

"You can't compete with me." Commander Zhao told the prince, almost like a threat that sounded like a joke. Lelo watched between them as she waited for a fight to break out and all her skin to sear off her body, "I have hundreds of warships under my command, and you...you're just a banished prince."

Silence entered the tent, Lelo felt the heat rising and her heart thumped hard in her chest. Watching between the three to see who would move first as Commander Zhao spoke, she was sure Prince Zuko would, "No home, no allies...your own father doesn't even want you."