VIII

steaming fish
eight
VIII

The smell of ginseng had, in the beginning, smelt lovely to her. Very strong but an incredibly lovely scent but now, after hours of slaving over multiple pots of ginseng tea, she concluded she didn't want to smell it for at least a couple days. Maybe even a week. Iroh sat happily across from her as she made what must have been the sixth pot of ginseng tea that day. She didn't mind making tea as she loved cooking and making tea for her Gran Gran but religiously was another issue. Though no matter how much her arm ached from pouring, stirring and grinding tea ingredients she remained quiet and vigilant. Ensuring not to complain.

As she was wondering how Iroh hadn't needed to go to the toilet after drinking so much tea, she watched as he silently placed down his cup and stood with elegance; "I need to use the restroom. Please continue."

Lelo watched helplessly as Iroh excited the room only for two guards to stop him in mid-step. She acted as if she wasn't listening but still Iroh closed the door. Disgruntled, Lelo stood as silently as she could and top toed over the cold metal with the utmost silence as she pressed an ear to the door.

"What is it?" Iroh grunted as he stood before the guards. Lelo heard nervous shifting outside the door within their silence.

"Well, General Iroh, we can't seem to track down the Avatar. There have been sightings but we keep losing him and...well...we've lost track of him." A guard says before the other guard interjects hesitantly, "Again."

"Hmmm..." Iroh grumbled taking something from their hands and rustling it in his. Lelo assumes it was paper, perhaps a letter or a map but without being able to see she doesn't know. After a moment, Iroh rolled up the parchment and cleared his throat, "I will inform Prince Zuko."

Audibly, Lelo heard the guards sigh in relief that they wouldn't have to be the ones to deliver the message that they again have lost track of the Avatar. Iroh dismissed them and left himself in silence. Lelo held her breath hoping he wouldn't open the door as if she took any step towards her familiar spot, he would know she got up. After a moment of tense pause, she heard Iroh turn on his heels and walk away. Letting out her breath, Lelo plops herself back onto the floor cushion beside the table. Feeling her body protest after hours of being in the same position.

She wasn't used to sitting for so long. She was used to walking around and gathering supplies. When she did sit she was far more occupied then stirring tea. Lelo was left to her own silence as she remembers stirring some type of stew for Gran-Gran who seemed to hate her cooking, while Sokka and Katara could eat her cooking by the bowlful a dozen times a day for weeks on end. It made her smile, thinking of them. Thinking of her life before the Avatar showed up. She admits that her life wasn't that exciting, kind of the same thing everyday but she didn't mind in all honesty. She loved that Gran Gran would always keep her on her toes. It made fond memories to look back on. How no matter how stubborn she was, Gran Gran always had the right advice or some wisdom.

Just as Miren and her family came to her mind, pulsing guilt into her chest before a rush of heat, and a loud shouting could be heard. Lelo stood in shock, immediately opening the door. Smoke emanated from Prince Zuko's room. She assumed he had lost his temper again; "Give me the map!"

"There have been multiple sightings of the Avatar, but he is impossible to track down," Iroh informed his nephew calmly.

"How am I going to find him, uncle?" Prince Zuko asked in deep concentration, "He is clearly a master of evasive manoeuvring."

Lelo couldn't help pull a face at the idea of Aang being evasive on purpose. If anything she hoped he didn't get them lost. She hoped they would have gone straight to the Northern Water Tribe to hurry along with his studies. As she thought this, Lelo realised that opening or closing the door to Iroh's room would alert the Prince and his uncle. With the quietest of sighs, she pushed the door open the rest of the way before calling out for Iroh.