05. Americano

0 5 .

americano

"ASPIRIN."

"Aspirin, wake up!"

My eyes slid open, Isaac's tanned face coming into my blurred sight. His dark hair fell just over his eyes as he leaned over my face, shaking me gently.

Blinking, I realised exactly what was happening.

His fingers gripped around my arms, rocking me awake. I was vaguely aware of how strong his grip was and how close his face was to mine, his breath fanning over my face, the smell of smoke mingling with coffee.

I groaned, fighting a yawn, before noticing Isaac's smug expression.

I bolted upright, my cheeks bright red and drool covering half of my face. I wiped furiously at my skin, drying the drool with my sleeve and adding to the redness of my face as Isaac grinned at me mischievously.

Beside him sat a small pile of random books about reptiles. He had been reading here the entire time.

"The warning bell rang," he said simply as I swung my legs around to the floor.

"Thanks," I murmured, standing from my spot and swinging my bag over my shoulder. I swayed slightly, still half asleep and dazed – although, at this point, I wasn't sure if I was dazed from my nap or Isaac's cavernous dimples.

I walked a few steps, slow and sluggishly, before noting he hadn't walked with me. I spun to face him, only to see Isaac opening another book.

"Aren't you coming?"

He looked up from his book, his hair tumbling over his forehead as he stared at me. "Nah, you go. I'm not in the mood for class."

I nodded curtly, awkwardly staying in my spot as I continued to watch him read. It felt wrong letting him skip class. It almost felt like I had the responsibility to scold him and drag him by the ear to the classroom.

"Are you going go to class or are you just going stand there and stare at me all day?"

My cheeks immediately turned red as I began to stutter out a sentence. "I – I was just –"

"Relax, I'm joking," he smiled softly, before the corner of his lips tugged up in a cheeky smirk. "That is, unless you want me to stare at me all day."

He flexed an arm at me, sending me a foolish smoulder.

I rolled my eyes at him, my face turning red quickly, the heat rising to my ears. I turned on my heel, ignoring his laughter as I began to walk out of the aisle of books.

"Wait, wait, another joke, I swear!"

I ignored his voice this time, continuing to walk as I heard him hustle behind me. Suddenly his arm was around my shoulders as we walked through the library.

A blush crept up my neck, but I fought to stare straight ahead and to keep my heart from racing. Thoughts began racing through my mind, but I shut them out, trying to ground myself.

His skin pressed into mine, his fingers hanging beside my face. I could smell his cologne, mingling with the scent of coffee that seemed to follow him everywhere. His body clumsily knocked into mine every few steps and I could feel myself blushing furiously.

"So, what do you have now?" he asked cheerfully. We passed Mrs Harvey at her desk who simply glared at us, before we pushed through the heavy double doors and stepped into the fluorescent hallways.

I squinted against the light, my vision still blurring from my nap.

"English," I muttered, finally shoving his arm off my shoulder. "We both have English."