07. Mocha

0 7 .  

mocha

WALKING AROUND SCHOOL in Isaac's jacket made me think it would've been better in my Elmo shirt.

It was almost like his jacket was a magnet for attention. All around me, students were whispering and staring.

"Isn't that Hensick's jacket?"

"Why does she have it?"

"Who even is she?"

"Is she new here?"

I held my eyes to the ground, making my way towards my locker quietly, my heart pounding in my chest. I swallowed thickly, willing myself to stay calm despite the muttering mumble of voices that seemed to follow me through the fluorescent corridors.

By the time I reached my locker, Riley and William were already there. After four lessons without them, they were the only people I was looking forward to seeing.

"Hey, Aspen, how was – Woah is that–"

I snapped my eyes up to Riley, cutting her off with a newfound fire.

"Yes, it's Isaac's jacket, whatever. Seriously, how are these people even realising its Isaac's? How popular is he?"

Riley stared, speechless, as William nibbled on an apple, his head in some other place. She raised her brows at me in surprise.

I sighed and opened my locker, pushing my books in before hiking my bag higher on my shoulder and turning to face my friends.

"Sorry," I muttered finally. "I'm just sick of everyone whispering about it everywhere I go. It's just a jacket."

"Just a jacket? It's Isaac Hensick's jacket, actually," Riley pointed out. She quirked a knowing brow at me. "That makes it a big deal."

I pursed my lips, annoyed that she was right. Isaac was from a different world – even his clothes were more popular around the school than me. I shook my head at the thought. It didn't matter. We weren't even friends.

I was overthinking it.

"So," Riley's enthusiasm began to return. She bounced on her toes, her blonde ponytail whipping the air behind her. "What happened? How'd you get his jacket?"

I opened my mouth to reply when she let out a loud gasp, her hands flying to her mouth.

"You didn't steal it, did you?"

I blinked, opening my mouth to explain what had happened at the café only for her to cut me off once more, her bright grin growing even wider, stretching over her cheeks. Her eyes glimmered with mischief.

"Oh, Aspen, you're bad! I'm finally rubbing off on you! What do you want to do next? Fire crackers in the gym? OH! Steal his," she lowered her voice and wiggled her eyebrows, "underpants?"

"Riley!" William shouted, spitting apple everywhere. "That's a great idea!"

"William!" I exclaimed, slapping a hand to my forehead. "God, even you?"

"Hey, what can I say? The boy's attractive," William shrugged.

"True that," Riley grinned, throwing an arm around William's shoulder.

I snorted at the pair, rolling my eyes as we began to make our way outside for lunch.

William's cheeks instantly turned red as Riley clung close to him. I smirked at them, trailing behind. He could fanboy over Isaac all he wanted, but he made it incredibly obvious that his heart belonged to Riley, even if she couldn't see it herself.