17. Corretto

1 7 .

corretto

"SURPRISE!"

"Oh my god, guys! I had no idea!"

We all laughed as Riley fell to the floor in tears of joyful surprise. She held her hands to her mouth as she let out loud sobs. Meredith, one of Riley's close friends, wrapped her arms around her as Riley cried out 'thank you's to everyone.

Beside me, Isaac stood awkwardly to the side.

"Is she always like this?" He whispered, his lips hovering so close to my ear I could feel his breath fan down my neck.

I laughed loudly, chills running down my arms. "Pretty much."

Once Riley regained her composure, she closed the front door behind her and stepped fully into William's house. His mother was out on a romantic date with her 'dag of a boyfriend' as William had put it, leaving the entire house to ourselves.

We kept it small. Just our usual trio, plus two of Riley's close friends Meredith and Peter. And of course, Isaac.

We all gathered around Riley, our gifts in hand. Riley held back a sob, wiping tears from her eyes, a glowing grin plastered on her face.

"Happy birthday, Riles," Meredith began with her quiet voice, passing a small blue gift bag to her.

Meredith was a mousy girl with long brown hair. Her dark skin contrasted with Peter's pale, freckled face, his blonde hair short and spiked. Riley had met them in middle school when she took cheer with Meredith. They stood beside each other, grinning.

Riley took the gift bag with a smile. "Thanks Mer."

She reached into the bag, pulling out a small bottle of perfume. She grinned, pulling the cap off and smelling the floral scent with a sigh.

"It's so nice!"

"I'm glad you like it. It's from me and Peter." Meredith grinned, her cheeks tugging up as Peter pulled her to his side.

Meredith and Peter had been dating since middle school, and it was honestly no surprise they were still together. They were perfect for each other. Both were shy and quiet, and Peter seemed to just shower her with affection.

It was sickeningly adorable.

I stepped up next, handing Riley my gift bag. Isaac stood awkwardly behind me, watching empty handed.

I smiled, grabbing his arm and tugging him to my side. "This is from me and Isaac."

Isaac's eyes widened, but he said nothing, only sending me a grateful smile. Riley raised an eyebrow at me suggestively and grinned before pulling out the branded hair straightener I had spent months saving up for.

"Aspen, I love it!" She squealed, hugging me with a grin. She looked up at Isaac and hugged him lightly. "Thank you, Isaac."

He sent her a gentle smile and rubbed a hand behind his neck. "It was nothing."

I chuckled and stepped back as she moved onto William's present.

William had spent weeks coming up with the perfect gift idea, finally settling for a charm bracelet. Each charm signified a special event in their friendship. It was adorable. Riley must have loved it because she began squealing and tearing up all over again.

While she hugged William as a thank you, causing him to blush like a tomato, Isaac leaned closer to me.

"Thank you," he whispered.