12. Pumpkin Spice

1 2 .

pumpkin spice

I WALKED THROUGH THE HALLWAYS, my shoes squeaking against the tiles and my head already pounding after an hour of writing notes about kidneys and nephrons. I sighed, rubbing my forehead with my cold fingers, my other hand clutching my books to my chest.

In my tired daze, I'd grabbed the wrong books, meaning I'd have to stop by my locker before the next class to grab the correct textbooks.

Riley walked beside me, a bounce in her step, chattering on and on about how worried she'd been at Arthur Andrew's party on Saturday – as if she hadn't already given me an earful all Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. William walked beside her, his eyes vacant as if he wasn't listening, but nodding haughtily nevertheless.

I pursed my lips, barely listening, when suddenly, she fell silent and came to a stop.

I paused beside her, blinking.

"What –"

I didn't have to finish my sentence. I dragged my eyes from the hallway floor to follow Riley's gaze. Beside my locker, Isaac Hensick stood. His normally tousled hair had been brushed back, exposing his glowing face under the fluorescent light. He sent me a boyish smirk as he leaned against the lockers, his arms crossed over his classic leather jacket.

"Aspirin."

"Isaac," I sputtered eventually, furrowing my brow. "What are you doing here?"

"Waiting for you," he answered simply with a shrug.

I opened my mouth to reply when Riley interrupted.

"We'll meet you later, Asp," she whispered, clutching onto William's arm and dragging him away. She sped down the hallway, glancing back at me to send me a wink and a squeal before bounding away. William was pulled after her, his brow furrowed in confusion. I ripped my gaze from their retreating backs to look back at the smirking boy in front of me.

Isaac's eyes remained focused on mine, studying me. The corner of his mouth twitched up in a half-smile and he lifted a brow at me. My face heated beneath his sharp stare, but I swallowed my nerves and continued facing him.

"I didn't see you at the café today," he said eventually.

I blushed, my eyes moving to my locker. I pulled it open and he moved to stand upright, hovering over my shoulder as I dumped my books into my locker with a loud clatter – I was much too tired to be organised.

"I woke up late so I couldn't go." It wasn't a lie. Not entirely.

I had drifted to sleep close to sunrise and couldn't force myself out of bed in time to stop by the café. But I knew if I had woken up on time, I would've skipped it today anyway.

I just wasn't sure I was ready to face Isaac again after embarrassing myself in front of him.

He'd seen me at my lowest – my hair matted and make-up runny. He'd seen me panic after, what, a party? A normal, teenage party? It was a surprise he was even still talking to me.

"Lucky for you, I'm the greatest friend in the world." I turned to see him holding out a takeaway coffee cup, the logo of Café de Fleur printed on the front. "Soy latte, no sugar."

I hadn't even noticed he was holding it. I took the cup from him, smiling meekly as our fingers brushed. My cheeks felt hot and his words echoed in my ears – he thought we were friends.

"Thanks," I muttered, slamming my locker shut with my other hand.

We were silent for a moment, me shifting on my feet and him oblivious to my discomfort, before he asked, "How are you feeling today?"