Chapter 16

Olivia got back from work one day. While taking off her shoes, her phone started to ring.

"Not now phone, I need to rest," she muttered to herself.

The phone calls continued even after the caller wasn't getting any answer making Olivia wonder why the caller was so persistent. She took out the phone from her bag to check the caller ID and realized that it was her mom that had been calling so she picked up the phone.

"Hello, Mom?"

"Thank God, honey. I thought you were never going to pick up your phone." Her mom said.

"Why would you say that?" Olivia questioned confused as to why her mom would make such a comment.

"I have been trying to call you since morning, honey but it was going to voicemail."

Her mom's statement made Olivia remember that she had switched off her phone while at work because she was at a board meeting with her boss and had just switched it on before coming home.

"Sorry about that, mom. I was busy with work, so I had to switch it off so as not to get distracted." She apologized.

"That's okay, honey. Have you seen the news today?" Her mom asked.

"Mom, I just told you that I was busy today so how would I have seen the news?" she replied already bored with the phone call because she badly needed to rest.

"Baby, it was in the news today that a lot of US soldiers have lost their lives while fighting against the militant group in Afghanistan." Olivia couldn't believe what she just heard.

"What?!" She yelled.

"Sweetie, please calm down. The bodies haven't been identified yet, so let's just hope Joseph isn't amongst them." Olivia's mom kept talking saying convincing words to Olivia but Olivia couldn't hear a thing her mom was saying because she had zoned out completely.

 After hearing the news of the dead soldiers, Olivia had become restless. She couldn't eat or get any sleep wondering if the news her mom had told her had any connection with Joseph's inability to send her letters.

"No, Joseph is okay. He isn't dead." She kept on mumbling to herself trying to get herself together because she was already a mess.

Olivia went over to visit Joseph's parents hoping to get any news and when she meant news, she wanted it to be good news. But to her dismay, they also haven't heard any news about Joseph. They had asked Jordan to go over to the military base to get more information with regards to the dead soldiers. Olivia was a little relieved after hearing that but didn't want to get her hopes up and at the same time, she didn't want to be pessimistic.

After two days of impatiently waiting, Jordan returned with news but it wasn't a good one. He told them that the bodies had been identified and that Joseph was amongst them.

"No! That's not true!" Olivia began.

"It can't be. Joseph can't be dead." She continued talking to herself.

"He told me he'd be back. No! He promised he'd be back, so he can't be dead. He just can't be dead!" Olivia started crying hysterically.

"Tell me it's not true, Jordan. Please tell me it's not true?" She turned to Jordan and pleaded with him as he was trying to console her, begging him to tell her he was only joking.

George was trying to console his wife, Rachel, who was uncontrollably crying and at the same time, he was holding back his tears to be strong for the both of them. Olivia's parents had just arrived to console their friends. Jennifer took Rachel into her room to try to get her to calm down while Henry was with George in his study.

Jordan was still trying to get Olivia, who wouldn't stop crying to calm down. Olivia felt she was responsible for the death of Joseph. If she had tried harder to stop him from ever joining the Force none of this would have happened. She felt terrible right now, all she wanted to do right now was kill herself because she had no other reason to still be alive and nothing would make her feel better.

Olivia felt selfish because she was letting out all her pain and not because Jordan was also affected. It was his twin brother that died and here he was trying to console her the whole time. She wiped her eyes and stared at Jordan's shirt that she had ruined with her tears.

"I'm sorry about your shirt," she quietly said.

"It's okay."

"Um... I feel terrible right now for not putting your feelings into consideration. Joseph was your brother and here I am acting like I'm the only one affected by it."

"I'm also hurt by his death because he was my brother and friend that doesn't mean that you don't have any right to feel or act the way you do because you do. He was close to your heart and also the love of your life." Jordan replied.

Olivia sniffled, trying hard to control her tears. She was already shaking from crying too much. Jordan pulled her close to his chest once again, Olivia's emotions betrayed her as she couldn't hold back her tears.

"Olivia, if you don't mind me asking. Can I come live with you for a while? Then when you feel better I will move out and check on you during the weekends." Jordan suddenly said.

Olivia didn't have any reply in mind because her mind wasn't working right now but at the same time, she was surprised at his request, wondering how he knew that she would need someone to be with her because she didn't trust herself being alone and might do something dangerous to hurt herself. She couldn't speak or say a word because her throat was sore from crying too much. She just nodded into his chest to answer his question.

OMG!
Joseph is what?! 😢😢