twenty four

Kat steps out of the McDonald's bathroom, wiping her hands on her jeans as the door closes behind her

Kat steps out of the McDonald's bathroom, wiping her hands on her jeans as the door closes behind her. We're officially back on the road, already making our way through Philadelphia. I didn't want to waste too much time or money on lunch, so I figured fast food was our best option. 

After our bathroom break, we order and get our food. Thankfully, they both agree with my idea of eating in the car. I want to stay true to what I told Peter and at least make it to Ohio by tonight, which means we've still got hours of driving left.

"Alright." I rummage through the brown bag of food once we're all back in the Firebird. "Happy Meal for you," I pass the red box to Charlie, "fries for you," I hand them to Kat as she sips her milkshake, "and a Big Mac for me."

I unwrap the burger, letting myself take a bite before starting the car.

"You know," Kat gestures to the parking lot with a french fry, "I'm almost positive that same truck was at the gas station back in New York."

I look over, taking in the matte, dark purple truck. It's pretty unremarkable apart from the somewhat unusual color, but I guess maybe I have seen it before. "You think?"

She tilts her head, studying the old-looking vehicle. "Yeah, I remember it because I thought the purple was nice."

"Maybe they're stalking us," Charlie jokes, the three of us laughing as we pull out of the lot.

I can't help repeating Charlie's words in my head when twenty minutes later, as we're driving down the highway and waiting for the right exit, I check my rearview. A few cars back is the purple truck.

I don't know why it makes me feel uneasy, or why I'm even surprised. The world is small and full of coincidences, and there's no reason anyone would be following us. Still, I can't stop myself from keeping an eye on the vehicle. I watch as it switches lanes and passes cars until finally, it's behind us. 

"Where should I put my trash?" Charlie asks. I barely register his words through the fog of paranoia in my mind.

"I can take it, we've got a bag up here," Kat offers, turning in the passenger's seat to reach for the small box Charlie's passing forward. She takes the box, but stalls. "Oh my God, it's that truck again." She sounds bewildered and a little creeped out, making me feel more rational for my own discomfort.

"I know." I glance in the rearview again, my view slightly blocked by Kat's maroon hair as she looks out the back window. "I didn't want to say anything, but I'm a little weirded out."

"You think they're following us?" Charlie asks.

"Wait... Oliver-- it's--" Kat's hand blindly reaches for my shoulder, voice panicked, "it's the guys!"

I wrack my brain, heart picking up speed despite not knowing what she means. "The guys?"

"The guys! The guys from the bar, the ones who stole your letter!"