twenty six

"Oliver

"Oliver."

I'm pulled out of sleep as I feel something push against my shoulder, nudging me awake. I open my eyes to see Kat hovering over me, already dressed and ready for the day. I can tell it's still dark behind the cheap curtains covering the nearby window.

"What time is it?" I mumble, looking over at the clock on the nightstand. The red letters stare back at me and tell me it's just after six in the morning. I rub my face and run a hand through my hair, hoping I don't look as disheveled as I feel. 

"I know, it's early," she whispers. "You don't need to get up. I just wanted to tell you I'm going down to the pier to watch the sunrise-- I didn't want you to think I left or something."

"Oh," I manage, sitting up. I suppress a yawn. "The pier?"

Kat smiles, obviously amused by my half-asleep-ness. "The pier, as in the one we can see from our window? The big wooden thing sticking out over Lake Eerie?"

I nod, laughing quietly. "Right. The pier."

"You guys should come too-- we could grab an early breakfast after, get a head start on the road."

I weigh my options: catch up on sleep on an uncomfortable mattress with Charlie the cover-hog, or watch the sunrise with a beautiful girl who seems to actually want me to come with her. 

I turn and give Charlie a gentle shake. "Hey, Charlie. Wake-up call."

He grumbles in his sleep, but it takes a couple more tries before he starts to stir awake. Thankfully, he doesn't care about being woken up early, too excited by the idea of watching a sunrise for the first time. We get ready fast, pulling out clean day clothes from our bags and washing up as quickly as we can, not wanting to miss it.

The three of us head out of the small hotel, which is surprisingly close to the lake for how cheap it is. It seems like the world is coated in the soft blue of the gradually lightening sky. A few of the scattered, wispy clouds are highlighted with pink, hinting at the colors to come and letting us know that the sun has almost started its journey over the horizon. The unfamiliar hour holds a serenity that's hard to describe; everything is just a little softer, a little quieter.

Walking down to the beach doesn't take long, and we're mostly silent as we try to shake off the remainder of our drowsiness. Charlie does spend a minute brainstorming ideas for breakfast, already craving another stack of pancakes from his favorite restaurant. Kat and I agree on his choice, sharing amused smiles above his head.

The pier is more lively than I expected it to be, but still tranquil. A few fishermen stand with their poles and gear while a young couple snuggles up to each other on one of the benches. Waves lap at the nearby sandy shore and the rocks positioned below us, stacked all around the pier's supports. The sky has already started to change, the horizon glowing with shades of orange and violet.