-00-

The smell of cherry blossoms was everywhere when Joanna walked into work.

 Instantly, her fingers pinched her nose and she made a gagging sound. Her old, red converse slapped against the tile floor below her as she swung her silver-colored cross body bag on a nearby hanger. She walked forward then, snatching the bottle of smelly goods or more smelly disgustingness from her co-worker. Nathaniel York sent her a look as he noticed who took his spray can and when she tossed it on the couch to their left, he grumbled under his breath.

 The eldest of the two laughed, letting herself sink into the same couch she bullied with the can. "Sorry, but sometimes you overspray this place, Nate," she muttered, watching as the ceiling fan lazily spun around before letting her dangerous, striking gray eyes land on his skinny, lanky form. She smiled at the teenager, enjoying how he still had a pissed off look coating his features. "Okay, sorry, sorry." Nathaniel sighed, accepting her apology before walking to his station and turning up the music. Some old rock music blasted from the speakers and Joanna's smile grew immensely. "That's right! Play that funky music, Nate."

 His own hazel eyes danced towards and he finally spoke for the first time that day. "Only for you, Jo." And then he was starting to pull out some nail polishes, different shades of blue and violet being seen from her spot on the couch. Groaning she slid off and took the can with her before walking to his station. "Yes?"

  "How much for me to go home now? Maggie doesn't need to know her favorite worker is at home, dying on her bed as she fights the flu," she dramatically states, placing the can of spray on his desk. She smirked, watching as her friend shook his head in dismay. Joanna Hodgson was always like this. When she was close to someone, trusting them with her whole heart, that's when she exposes her true self, for she was incredibly reserved. Of course, working at a nail salon meant talking with her customers and having small talk. But would she show such emotions like she was showing to Nathaniel on a daily basis? Never. Joanna wasn't shy, no, she kept a whole lot of things to herself. But the artwork on her body, which could be seen as she wore her long-sleeved sweater that was colored in lilac, on her fingers was three dots. Those three dots resembled her lost family. 

 Joanna was adopted at the ripe age of two. Her mother, Callie, adopted her before she barely struck twenty-six, wanting to keep the child safe and continue what her late, biological parents couldn't finish. Back in Ukraine, her parents were killed in their homes, something that Joanna feared to ever learn more about. She lost her mother, father, and older brother. Now she had her adoptive family: Callie, Brick, and Kinsley. Kinsley was adopted a little after Joanna turned nine and when she met the six-year-old, she loved her instantly. Now here she was, just recently turned twenty and trying to survive this job so she could afford college to become an Interior Designer. 

  Suddenly, a pair of fingers snapped in front of her face and she jumped in reaction. Nathaniel spared her a worried look before he was shooting himself out of his seat when the bell to the door rang. "First customer of the day," he rushed as he greeted their customer. Joanna sighed, sitting up and smiling at the woman.

  "Oh, hello again, Jessica." The bouncing brunette smiled at them, a styrofoam cup of fresh coffee held in one hand while the other held her phone. Her ponytail bounced as she twisted her attention towards Nathaniel, begging him to give her a new look. Going on about wanting a bright, cherry-red color on her nails. The very ones that had chipping of periwinkle polish. "To my table, Jess." Laughing, she followed him while Joanna stared outside.

  Then she moved over to the front near the cash register. She slid into the barstool there, an old one that belonged to the bar that stood there before being renovated into the nail salon it was today. The place where the tattooed girl has worked for almost four months now. Her gray eyes looked to Jessica, watching her mouth move as she talked about her day yesterday and about some girl named Bella. Joanna smirked. That Bella girl was an interesting woman. Strong, bold, but quiet. She held a fight and a passion in her heart that she only let out when needed. That's what Joanna heard from Jessica one time and some other student from their student talked about too. Joanna thinks his name was Brett? The thought was pushed away when someone entered the salon and Joanna looked up.

  "Ah, the famous Rosalie," she smirked as she spoke and suddenly said girl's name vicious curls were snapping in the air like a whip. Rosalie's plum-colored lips curve into a small smile as she walks over to the artist, her flats clicking beautifully against the tile floor. As she stood in front of the desk, leaning slightly, she hummed at Joanna. "What do want? I don't have any Emmett here."

  Then the blonde narrowed her gaze jokingly before letting out a chuckle. "You're cute," she said smoothly before look at the racks of polishes behind the brunette, studying each color before uttering, "mulberry." Then the polish was held in Joanna's hand and she was ushering the Cullen to her station with a flick of her wrist. Rosalie sat in the lush, fur-coated chair. She snuggled into it before placing her hands out. Joanna didn't waste any time to dive into work. Small talk was sent back and forth. Rosalie would drag on about something idiotic at school and Joanna would smile or laugh faintly. Or Rosalie would mutter something about Bella, how the girl seems to make her brother happy. But she replaced seem with did.

  Suddenly Rosalie's phone started to ring loudly from her pocket and she grumbled to herself. With one hand not being treated on yet, she used it to pull out her cellphone and answer whoever it was. Clearly, from Joanna could hear from the line, someone was rather excited. Giggles were heard. So was the sounds of thrilled screams, which made Rosalie pull her phone away from her ear from time to time. "Honestly, Alice," she mumbled, placing her back near her ear again. "Take a damn chill pill. I know Bella's birthday is coming up, I hear it from you nonstop. But it's two months away. Keyword: two."

Joanna smiled at that before laying the last layer of polish on her nail, admiring the color and its shine. "Yeah, yeah, birthday blow out. Get Edward to show some joy too, you know. I swear he can be so overprotective of her." The phone call ends after that, Rosalie sighing as she placed her phone back in her pocket before placing her hand up for Joanna to work on.

As she does her nail, she can see her reflection on the polish and she smiles to herself. "You know, I really wanna know your skincare routine. I mean, I look like a strawberry patch with all this mess on my face."

  "I hardly do anything," Rosalie says softly, transfixed with the work Joanna was doing. "However, Jo, I know my sister would know best. She knows anything and everything beauty-related. My mother, Esme, she knows some too, but she's artsier. She enjoys working on decorating and whatnot. A beautiful mind." Rosalie sighed afterward, biting her plum-colored lip.  "You know, I think I should bring Alice in here sometime, maybe even my family. Some of them would like to get a little manicure or two."

  Joanna hummed in thought, too lost in her work. The music fell into her ears, soothing her tired soul and as she took a sip of her water that she brought from home. "I swear, your parents, how did they survive with so many kids? How many of there are of you guys? Around five or so?"

A sad smile covered Rosalie's mouth, "They survived through a lot of things, Jo."