-10-

Jasper Hale, once again, was in her room later night. At first, Joanna was about to scream when she saw a dark figure looking at a photo of her and her father on the wall, but stopped short when she saw a blob of blonde hair. "Oh," she breathed, placing a hand where her heart was located, "You fucking scared me." He looked back, sending a small smile. "What are you looking at? My dad?"

  Her footsteps were heard and when she grew closer, her quickly moved away. "That's from a few years ago. Are you still acting as my guard or something?"

  "Just to be safe," Jasper clarified, not looking at her and instead at the moon. The lights radiating off her rested on his features and he smiled softly at the white dot in the middle of the sky. "I'll stay until Alice and everyone else believe you're in the safe zone. For now, and for some odd reason, Alice has put me in charge of watching over you."

  He heard her nod and listened as she pulled her scrunchie out to let her dark strands rest on her shoulders. Jasper could feel her gaze on him before she made her way toward her dresser and pulled out pajamas for the night.

  "I feel like you're extremely bored. You wanna watch a movie or play a game?"

  "I'm alright," Jasper said, finally looking at her as she stopped at the door. Her gray eyes held something he couldn't describe before she mutteref,

  "You're being boring," and leaving the room to change. By himself, Jasper watched as the door closed and almost smiled in amusement.

  Almost a minute later and she was back in the room. She didn't look at him immediately, simply choosing to turn on her television and flip through channels until an episode of Property Brothers were playing. Finalky, her eyes drifted toward him. "You like this show?"

  "Sometimes Esme watches it," Jasper answered, glancing at the television before focusing back on her. "I've never seen it, though." Hearing that made an automatic smile appear on Joanna's face. "I'm guessing that you want me to watch it?"

  "I'll grab snacks. You find a spot in here that you believe is safe for-"

  Callie Hodgson enetered the room then. Her eyes were trained on her phone, but drifted up when she saw her daughter. "Hey, Diana called and is working tomorrow so I get the day off. I thought we could have a mother and daughter day since Maggie asked for you to not work tomorrow. How does hitting La Push sound? Sue has been begging me to come down." She stops for a moment and slides her phone in her pajama pant's pocket. "You remember those days when you went over and hung out with Seth."

  Joanna nodded, twisting her head to look where Jasper was standing - his spot was vacant. For a moment, confusion spurred in her bones. "Yeah, uh, totally. I hung out with Leah also."

  "That Sam guy is a total asshole," Callie opinionated, shaking her head along the way. "Went off to fall in love with her cousin. What a bastard. Anyhow, I'm just budging in to see if you wanna do that tomorrow? Go down to Sue's and maybe head around La Push? Up to you."

  Offering a big grin, Joanna agreed. "Sounds awesome. What time?"

  "Around eleven or so. Just wear something decent, but knowing you it'll be heavy, dark and covering your little pieces of art." Joanna pushed and softly traced one that was on her thigh. To be exact, it was a picture of Medusa. Her snakes were wrapped around her head in curls, showcasing her overly beautiful face that when looking at it, you would make direct eye contact and freeze. That was Medusa's power: turning anyone into stone.

  "Okay, I'll set my alarm. If it's okay, can I return to watching my show?" Callie nodded, kissing her daughter's temple before leaving her room.