-17-

Her dark hair stood against her shoulders in a storm of tangles, her eyes piercing through them as she sat on her concrete steps that led to her front door. Outside, in the autumn weather, it was freezing and chills ran up her skin and formed into small bumps. Shaking, she eyed Bella warily.

"So, you went to see your friend Jacob last night and you were pissed to find out he was hanging out with a bunch of drug buddies? Then you were upset when he said he couldn't be friends with you anymore. After that, you went home and slept before coming to be as you are right now. Okay. That's was one roller coaster of a story," Joanna responded back after Bella explained why she was here.

There, standing in a brown jacket and jeans, and a pair of old boots was Isabella Swan. Her face was conflicted with emotions, yet she couldn't let one free itself. But Joanna knew that she was upset and being upset meant a lot of things.

"Can I beat his ass?"

"No," Bella sighed, running a hand through her loose brown locks. They fell and framed her face. "I wanna see him. Can you take me?"

Pointing a slim finger towards a red truck, she stated, "Yet you brought your Lamborghini here."

"Please," Bella ignored her joke, taking a step forward and sitting by her. "Edward already left me - they all did," she rasped out, gripping the sleeves of her jacket tightly. "I don't want to lose him too. I can't. I-I can't."

"Let me grab my coat," Joanna mumbled, rubbing her friend's back in comfort. The things friends do for each other. Joanna wouldn't let her dive into another storm of pain. She wouldn't let her fall apart again when she spent months gluing her back together.

In seconds, she returned with a tan coat that had a white, fluffy material lining the inside. Of course, she was still dressed in her pajamas, but currently, she hardly cared. Bella followed after her, stumbling over the curb as she pulled the passenger side door open.

"We're listening to some great tunes to burst your confidence," Joanna said as she plugged in her phone, music escaping from the speakers. Sighing, she smiled as one of her favorite songs played. "Migraine is the best song by them," Joanna commented, showing her the band she very much enjoyed.

"I've listened to them too," Bella explained as they started to drive away, her eyes closing as she hummed to the song. "I've always enjoyed House of Gold. I also like Car Radio, even if it screams in my ear."

Chuckling, Joanna nodded along as they drive further away. The ride was peaceful and Joanna swore she could feel confidence build up in her friend. She smiled at the sight of Bella smiling and dancing subtly to another song, Every Breath You Take by The Police.

Then Bella jumped and pointed towards a red house that held age and a rustic vibe that Joanna enjoyed. "That's the place?"

Bella hummed in response, eager to get out of the car. When the pulled to a stop, Bella turned around. "I wanna do this on my own if that's okay? If something goes wrong..." She trailed off and bit her lip to conceal a grin, "...maybe I'll allow you to beat Jake's ass."

"Go on. I wanna see how my work has paid off. They grow up so fast, you know? Teenagers-"

"Bye," Bella said in a sing-along voice, laughing after when Joanna frowned at her. "I'll be safe, mom."

"That's my girl," Joanna cheered, watching as Bella steadily marched up to the door, knocking quickly. Joanna watched with a growing smile as Bella entered the home, pushing past a man whom Joanna presumed was Jacob's father.

Alone, he sat on the front porch in his wheelchair, giving a small glance at the girl in the car before following after Bella. But as soon as he did, she was charging out the house, marching right at Joanna.