Prologue: Letters

{Lydia P.O.V}

"I never asked for my mom to die. I've never even thought about it.

Moms are supposed to die when you're old, when you've had time to become a mom or dad too and they've seen it happen. Moms are supposed to die after weddings and Sweet 16s and countless Birthdays. But nothing in my life is ever normal, because I'm Lydia Deetz, the strange and unusual goth kid without a mom. And I'm invisible just like mom is now. I hate it."
~~
I read over the letter that I hadn't written too long ago, the same weekend mom had passed-the same week she had been forgotten. Folding it along the creases, I placed it back into the metal jewelry box and made way over to my bed. Losing Mom was devastating, of course, but (Y/N) made everything so much brighter. She recognized when I was sad, but didn't treat me as if that was all I was. She helped me laugh, and listened when I cried. She made me feel as if Mom wasn't gone, and Dad wasn't replacing her. In a way, she gave me a home.

{(Y/N) P.O.V}
My hand glided across the desk as I carefully wrote out the letter.
"Dear Lydia,
I am going to die today."

I erased it.

I had been planning my own suicide for weeks now, and tonight was the night I was going to follow through. The plan was to write Lyds a letter, leave it by her bed during our sleepover, then escape to the roof where I'd jump. I didn't want Lydia to see me die, not when she's already dealt with the death of her mom, but I couldn't think of anything else. Dad left so long ago that I'm starting to forget what he looked like, and mom barely ever comes out of her room. At school, being friends with Lydia immediately labels me as strange and unusual too, but I don't care. I'll take some dumb nickname for her any day.
What I can't take is the constant loneliness when I'm not with her: no siblings, no friends, no Dad and practically no Mom. No direction.
I can't live like that-so why live at all?
I start the letter over again, this time making it less blunt.
"Dearest Lydia,
besides you, I am alone. Utterly alone. By the time you read this I will be gone. I love you so much and hope that we can see each other in death. Stay strange and unusual.
Sincerely, (Y/N)"
Sealing the letter with a black heart sticker, I place it in my pocket and head out to Lydia's.