Chapter 3: Time For a Talk

Previously:
My best friend had a crush and never bothered to mention him. She made some lame, dumb love poem too. I gagged on air.

Lydia and I need to have a chat after breakfast.
~~~
{(Y/N) P.O.V}
Brunch was the same as usual,
with fake smiles and laughter from everyone but Lydia and I.
Ms.Delia droned on about some sort of artist she had just discovered but it was clear Lydia wasn't interested. Truth be told, I wasn't either. I had been distracted since BJ had found Lydia's journal and it showed.
"Everything okay sweetie? You're not touching the peas." I looked up from my plate. Suddenly all eyes were on me.
"I'm fine, sorry. Just thinking about stuff."
Lydia perked up, "What kind of stuff?"
I saw a tiny glimmer in her eye, one that said: maybe I'll start a new discussion so she won't have to listen to her stepmom's anymore. That wasn't my plan.
"I don't know." I shrugged and started a staring contest with the floor. White tile was certainly more interesting than the lack of conversation we had.
"Okay. Brunch is over." Lydia pushed in her chair. "Thanks Dad...Delia. But we have some really important school stuff to do." She took my hand and sprinted up the stairs, leaving both our dishes behind. I felt a little bad, but that wasn't important right now.
"So..Lyds?" We stepped into the room.
"Yep?"
It was now or never.
"BJ opened one of your journals and I tried to stop him, really, but he kept going on about some Logan guy. He even showed me the note." I glanced at her, she fiddled with her dress.
"Lydia what are you hiding?" I tried to make my voice as gentle as possible but I think it just came out demanding. I trusted her a lot, and it hurt when she didn't trust me too.
Lydia smiled a bit, "I made that letter forever ago (Y/N/N), ya know, for Logan Owens? I meant to prank the guy but I never found the right time. Don't worry, it's not serious or anything." She managed a giggle and looked me in the eye.
I was worried though, because it was easy to tell when Lydia was lying.
"Okay." I said. Then silence, lots of it.
"Alright are you guys gonna do something or what, I'm tired of just sitting here." BJ sounded from the bed with his arms behind his head, it's weird to think we didn't see him before.
Lydia shrugged. "What can we do? All the board games are out there." She nodded her head towards the door.
"I mean we could make out a little." BJ spoke as if that was normal. I couldn't help but blush.
"UH, NO WAY. How about we do something a little less illegal...like a game we don't need to go downstairs for?"
Lydia thought for a moment. "Sure. Any ideas?"
"Oh, oh! Kiss, Marry, kill!"
I facepalmed. "BJ, we wouldn't have many people to choose from."
He mumbled something like, "yeah whatever kid" and crossed his arms.
Lydia perked up, "How about Truth or Dare?"
"Wowww, sooo much more original than my idea.." Beetlejuice sneered from his shame corner on the bed.
I snickered, "Sounds like a great idea Lyds!"
~~~
The game had started out fairly tame. As with most things though, I should've known Lydia can get competitive. We had set up a system where we all started out with 30 points. If you flanked on a dare or refused to answer a truth, you'd get some points taken away (The amount depending on the severity of the dare or intimacy of the truth). I considered myself to be pretty good at this game, and still had a good 24 points left (Lydia having 17 and BJ 28). By this point, no matter how weird her dares and truths would be, I kept completing them. I guess she had decided she needed to up the anti.
"Ok, (Y/N), truth or dare?"
"You know I'm going full dare."
"Alright, um..." She looked around, eyes finally settling on BJ. "Beetlejuice, help me pick something!"
They had conspired for about three minutes, leaving me plenty of time to dread my fate.
"Ok, we dare you to...act like BJ until your next turn. Flirting, eccentric, and all." Lydia looked at me smug as if I'd turn it down, I don't think she understood my dedication.
"Of course Babes!" I put my arms behind my head with a toothy grin, Lydia's smile fell.
"Ugh, dammit! What do I have to do to make you loose some points?"
"Well, we could just forget this stupid game and do something more interesting.." I attempted a wink. She looked stunned.
"U-uh, you're too into character. It's kinda messing with me." Lyds looked red but I wasn't about to stop now. I was keeping my points no matter what. I scooted closer to her and hooked an arm around BJ.
"I'm not messing with you at all sweetheart. We're just trying to do our job."
BJ grinned, "Woah. You're a great me!"
"A-anyway, you've already pretty much won. Let's stop the game here." Lydia sighed and stood up.
I broke character. "Aww, but it was so fun!!"
"Yeah!" BJ defended. I noticed my arm was still around him but didn't bother to move. His worn out tux was kinda comfy.
"Nope. My teenage heart can't handle it." Lydia concluded. "How about a movie or something?"
"Horror!" BJ and I yelled in unison, we seemed to be getting along pretty well. I was starting to consider his deal, but not because of the perks. At this point, I think it was safe to say I just wanted him around.
Lydia bought a movie by the name of "Countdown" and flopped down on the bed after getting some candy from her drawer. I sat beside her, and she rested her head on my shoulder.
"Are you two sure you're not a thing?" BJ questioned. "I mean, I'm kinda feeling left out here."
"Yes BJ," I chuckled and wrapped an arm around his shoulder.
"We're sure." Lydia eyed BJ and I could feel the tension they had throughout the entire movie.
Something was off.
/////
1050 words!! Thanks so much for 200 reads!