Chapter 1: I Don't Believe in Ghost

{(Y/N) P.O.V}

Everything seemed to happen in slow-motion. From knocking on Lydia's door, to horror movies on the couch. With every move I made, I knew it would be the last time I did them-what hurt me most was that Lydia didn't. I was going to end it today, there would be no turning back.

"Hey, (Y/N/N)? Everything okay? You kinda look like you're trying to solve the horrible logic of this movie." Lydia questioned with a small smile. I smiled back.

"Yeah I'm fine, getting a little tired though. Mind if we lay down?" Truth is, I was wide awake. I knew if I contemplated any longer though, I might start doubting myself.

She looked at me for a second, then glanced at the clock, then back to me.

"Okay then." She chuckled and switched off the TV. "We'll take the movie upstairs." Grabbing my arm, she dragged me up the stairs; creaky and old, almost as if we were in our own little horror movie. How funny that the first victim, and killer, would be me.
Opening the door, I walked into a room of primarily black with bits of random colors sprinkled throughout. There were books upon books, and notepads of doodles and scribbled out Poem lines. It was chaotically neat, just the way Lydia seemed to like it. I swapped a dark navy sweater from her closet and placed it over my shirt. I would give it back when she was asleep though, no way I was going to die in my best friend's own clothes.
Lydia flipped on her TV and on came a program we'd never heard of.
"Beetle..ge..oos?" I started, attempting to pronounce the strange wording on the screen.
"The bio exorcist?" Lydia seconded, sliding beneath the covers.
We both looked at each other.
I broke the silence.
"Yo Principle Adams was right, TV really is trying to brainwash us."
Lydia snorted and grabbed the remote, flipping to her show of choice.
"Hey (Y/N?)"
"Yeah?"
"Thanks."
I glanced at her with a cocked head. She stared at the screen with a grin.
"For what?"
Lydia turned to me, beaming.
"Being you."
With that, she closed her eyes and hugged her pillow.

I tried hard to not let my crying wake her up.
/////
Two hours had passed since Lydia fell asleep. The letter in my pocket suddenly felt heavier than before and time seemed to go a lot slower too. After shuffling out from under the blanket, I took off the sweater I had borrowed from Lydia and placed it on her nightstand, the letter being positioned just beside it. As I was nearing the door, I couldn't help but take one last look at her.
She was as calm as a pond.
I hoped that in her dreams she was having a picnic with her mom, or living somewhere far away from her fake family. She didn't deserve the nightmare she would later wake up to.
I mouthed a "bye Lyds" and lingered a bit longer than I should've. Eventually, I had dragged myself into the hallway where I drifted into the attic and onto the roof.
As soon as the air hit my face I went numb.
It became hard to breathe-hard to think. Why was I so scared? I'd been planning everything for so long now, it was supposed to be easy. Nearing the edge of the roof, I looked down onto the cool pavement below and stole myself.

"Three..."

I took in a deep breath.

"Two..."

I closed my eyes.

"On-"

"Woah there! Looks like you could use a buddy. How's about you step off that ledge?"

My body stiffened. Nothing about this voice sounded familiar. Why did someone have to be here, now?

I turned and came face to face with a strange man.

He was certainly no older than 30, and although it was dark, I noticed his messy green hair and beard. The tuxedo he wore was in dire need of a wash or maybe a whole replacement. No one wears striped tuxes nowadays anyway.