Chapter 7: Strange and Unusual

Previously:
He came closer to us, seemingly wanting to say something. My smile fell.
Lydia kept walking though, and when I didn't follow her, she grabbed my hand to guide me.
I pulled her to a stop by a nearby water fountain, maybe she hadn't seen him.
"Lyds, I think Logan was trying to-"
"He's not important right now." She cut me off. "Want to come over?"
"Uh, sure? But-"
"Great." Guess she wasn't going to let me change my mind.
Lydia tightened her grip and began walking home.
She didn't let go the entire time.
~~~
As we entered the Deetzes home I couldn't help but feel the same uneasiness as before. Lydia had let go of my hand by now, but her focused expression still remained as she turned the keys.
"DAD, I'M HOME!" She exclaimed while walking in. I gave BJ a confused look and he shrugged in response. There was a brief silence, then the clacking of heavy shoes.
"Lydia! And..(Y/N)! A pleasure to have you as always." I nodded as a polite gesture and starting playing with my hands.
Mr.Deetz was nice, but he was impossible to hold a conversation with. The way he spoke reminded me of a CEO and there wasn't one sentence he said that was interesting. Everything was curt and to the point, like he didn't have the time to waste his breath on friendly small talk. Lydia once told me that he had become obsessed with work after her mom's death. If that was really true, it makes me wonder how he could've been before.
The two exchanged some words before Lydia tugged my arm to drag me upstairs. Suddenly, I was reminded of all the weird stuff that had happened at Theatre. The lack of noise, noticeably from BJ, made the silence even worse.
Once inside her room, I decided to speak up.
"Uh, Lyds? Are you okay? You were acting kind of strange earli-"
"Yeah, I'm good." She interrupted.
"I just want you to know that I don't feel anything for Logan, seriously." I scanned Lydia's face for a bit, she looked like she was begging me to believe her. BJ gave me a side glance.
"Just nod toots, she looks troubled." He whispered. I did as he said and nodded in response.
"Of course Lyds. I mean, how could I not believe my favorite person?"
Lawrence faked a gasp.
"One of my two favorite people." I corrected.
The whole thing felt kind of forced, claiming to believe Lydia even though I had clearly seen the journal entry not too long ago, but I wasn't willing to loose her over something so trivial.
I slung my arms over their shoulders and fell back onto the bed. As I began my homework, I started to forget about Logan Owens. But one look at Lydia brought it all back.
She seemed to writing things down to BJ, to which he would write something back. Whenever she caught my gaze, she'd snatch the paper back like she was hiding something. It became harder to ignore it, so I began acting like I was none the wiser.
I did mean it earlier when I said Lydia was one of my favorite people, but I had two now. Maybe one of them would actually tell me the truth.
~•~
"Good Afternoon, class! lets start where we left off, shall we?" Ms.Livingston's cheery voice almost energized me, but it was hard to stay peppy after only four hours of sleep. Blame it on the five part Algebra problems and your best friend acting super weird for the past week. I planned to talk to BJ later about that second one.
Never the less, I took a death breath and jumped into "Helpless".

"Oooh, I do I do I do, I do. Hey!"

Towards the end of the song, Lydia came in smoothly and nailed Alexander's little rap bit. For a short time, I forgot about how strange she's been acting. When Lydia sang, she transformed into the best version of herself no matter the situation. It was also extremely charming that she looked at me the whole time instead of her script. In all honesty, Ms.Livingston should've given her multiple parts.
As if on cue, I heard Ms.Livingston's voice ring out after the song had finished.
"Beautiful ladies, beautiful! Remember, you two kiss at the end of the number so please be prepared." She wagged a finger between me and Lydia as if signifying it was us.

Wait what.

I read back over my script, stopping at an italicized print following the last line of Helpless. It read:

Alexander and Eliza kiss.

I nearly choked on air. I was going to be kissing Lydia? Literally no one told me this in the auditions. Do they even kiss in the musical? The problem wasn't exactly kissing her, I was fine with that, but the fact that I didn't think she wants to. What if she feels grossed out? My breathing quickly increased, thoughts flooding in and out of my head before I even had time to ponder them. Before Ms.Livingston noticed, I felt Lydia's hand on mine.
"You okay?" She whispered over the start of "Satisfied". I nodded, but my face felt hot.
"Y-Yeah. Just, uh, I didn't know that we had to kiss." She chuckled under her breath.
"Well of course. Didn't you read over the script?"
I felt too embarrassed to admit that I hadn't.
"I don't want you to feel like you have to do it or anything."
Lyds blushed a bit before squeezing my hand.
"Hey, if I had to kiss anyone in the world, it'd be you Ms.Favorite Person." It wasn't something I would ever expect Lydia to say, but for some reason I liked hearing it in her voice. Sappy things like that were a novelty when it came to her. Unfortunately, I couldn't get out a response fast enough before I had to start my lines. I think she understood that I was thankful though. The rest of the rehearsal I felt ditzy, helpless even.
~•~
(Lydia POV):
"DUDE WHAT DO I DO? SHE PROBABLY THINKS IM SUPER CREEPY OR SOMETHING!!" While (Y/N) was in the shower, I was confiding in BJ to somehow undo everything I had said in rehearsal. While she was sweet about it, I can't imagine anyone not be weirded out by learning their best friend would gladly kiss them out of the entirety of Earth's population.
Even if it was true.
"Hey, calm down girl. I'm sure she didn't think it was weird or whatever. Hell, she probably liked it." He shrugged while playing with a few pencils on my nightstand.
"You were asleep BJ, literally how would you know?" I shot him a glare to which he ignored and flopped on the bed with a pen and paper in hand. He patted the space next to him to indicate I should join. Reluctantly, I did.
"Alright, listen up kid. This is you."
He set the paper on a hard cover textbook and drew a frowning stick figure with short bangs. It was surprisingly accurate.
"And this is (Y/N)." Next to his doodle of me, he drew another stick figure with a big smile. Damn, she was cute even as a drawing.
"And here," He sketched a thick line in between us. "is your friendship."
"Now, you wanna be more than friends, right toots?"
I felt my face heat up. "Uh, I never said that."
BJ shrugged, "You didn't have to, It's obvious." My face got hotter.
"Yeah, whatever. What were you saying?"
He continued. "So, in order to get to where you wanna be, you gotta ruin this thing." He gripped
the pen and scribbled all over the Friendship Line.
"Wait wait wait. You're telling me I have to ruin the best friendship I've ever had in my existence? What if she ends up hating me?" He sighed and
shook his head.
"I'm not saying to stop being her friend Kid, I'm telling ya to push your boundaries a bit. Do things with her that couples would. That kiss is a good way to start." He gave me a wink before leaning back on the bed rest, closing his eyes.
"Some people are so scared of things they've never even tried. Just give it go." With that, he fell asleep and left me to my thoughts. I didn't want to die knowing that I was too scared to ever take risks. As I heard the shower stop, I made up my mind.
Here goes nothing.
~~~
1435 words! I know the actual romance has taken forever, but it's finally happening! Thanks so much for reading <3