Chapter 6: An Odd Script Reading

Previously:
He choked through his words. "S-shouldn't be sorry for something that can't be changed, right?"
Lydia gave me a look of sympathy, though she should've been giving it to BJ, and attempted to calm him down by patting his back. I wanted to give him hope, tell him that I would accept his deal and everything would be fine. But I couldn't make empty promises like that.
No matter what, no one can revive the dead.

(Warning: mild cursing!)
~~~~

     It became harder and harder to listen to Lydia as time went on. Whenever I tried to focus on the dangers of making the deal, the same memory of BJ crying came to mind and I would start making excuses. I didn't want him to be upset, but I didn't want Lydia to be disappointed. The whole thing didn't seem harmful anyway-Lawrence hadn't hurt me yet and I doubt he planned on it.
     It was almost the end of seventh period and our first rehearsal would be starting soon. I gathered my things as the teacher finished his lecture and walked out when the bell signaled. Although I still wasn't well known, people began addressing me as 'Eliza'. It felt nice to have a title.
    I caught a glimpse of BJ's hair and rushed to catch up.
"Hi Lyds! BJ!"
"Hey kid!" Lawrence commented with a wide smile. Lydia nodded.
"Hey! Ready for our first rehearsal? We'll finally get all our lines."
"As ready as I'll ever be. Hopefully the rest of the cast is nice.." I sighed.
    Lydia gave me a small smile and nudged me with her shoulder.
"Of course they'll be, they're Hamilton fans!"
I chuckled as we entered the auditorium.
   There were about twelve kids, all very diverse, but smiling amongst each other nonetheless. It seemed as if everyone already knew eachother.
All eyes turned toward us as the doors slammed shut. For once, I didn't want to be the center of attention. There was brief silence, then a small cheer from the teacher.
"Well if it isn't Alexander and Eliza! You two are just on time, take a seat!" She had a bright smile that contrasted nicely with her dark skin, and short curly hair that bobbed when she walked. The name tag on her dress read "Ms.Livingston" in fancy lettering. I recognized her from the auditions right away.
"Will do." I took my seat. Lyds got comfy to my left as BJ sat criss-crossed on the floor. I couldn't stop myself from scanning the room for any signs of familiar faces. I received lots of smiles from classmates I'd never talked to before. Reluctantly I smiled back, surprised they'd even give me the time of day, and broke eye contact to resume my search. Glancing from cast member to cast member, I was surprised to lock eyes with a certain goth kid.

Logan Owens.

He stared for a bit, looking conflicted, before finally waving. I almost didn't wave back.
"Uh kid? The paper." Lawrence tapped my knee and pointed over to Lydia, who was holding what I assumed to be my lines. I didn't realize I was spacing out. I took the paper from her hands and looked up at her. She had returned her attention to Ms.Livingston, who was going on about how the school needed better printers. She probably hadn't noticed Logan yet, or maybe she was pretending. Hopefully it wasn't the latter.
Ms.Livingston cleared her throat, signaling a change in topic, and began pacing.
"Okay class, what you have there are your scripts! The back sheet has all the characters and their respective roles. Today and next week we'll be doing a quick reading so we understand the content we're preforming. This means that all actions mentioned in the script won't be preformed right now, so whether you read them out loud or just skip over them is your call."
We nodded in understanding as she carried on.
"Lastly, when a new character is introduced I would like the actor/actress to say their name as well. For example, Ms.Livingston as blank, and then continue with the line. Does everyone understand?"
The class collectively chanted a lifeless, "Yes Ms.Livingston" obviously wanting to get on with the reading. She giggled in response and sat in a chair in the center of the room.
"Well don't get too exited! Now on with the show! Songs will be sung as well, but don't feel as if you have to be perfect! This just a run through."
As she settled down and clapped her hands to signal 'action' I heard a voice from my side of the room.
"Uh, Logan Owens as Aaron Burr.."

BJ fucking snorted.

I kicked him in the shoulder as Lydia perked up. She really didn't notice him until now. I stared at her in disbelief, apparently that journal entry meant more than she lead on.
She gave me a worried look and shrinked when she saw me looking back. It upset me that she was even paying attention to him.
I scoffed and turned my attention onto the floor. How did Logan even get casted when he's so quiet? I heard BJ snickering and tried to tune him out, now wasn't the time for laughing.
    After a few roles it was Lydia's turn. She tore her gaze away from Logan and focused on her script. It was obvious she knew the words by heart, but she probably needed something else to think about. She took a quick breath, introduced herself, and began.
"Alexander Hamilton. My name is Alexander Hamilton. And there's a million things I haven't done- but just you wait, just you wait..."
Though I wanted to stay angry, it was hard after hearing Lydia sing.
Her voice was sweet, powerful, and emotional-all the perfect components for a musical theatre actress. I almost forgot my lines were up next.
"(Y/N) (L/N) as Elizabeth Schuyler" I started.
"When he was ten his father split, full of it, debt ridden. Two years later see Alex and his mother bed ridden, half dead. Sitting in their own sick, the sent thick.." As I finished, Lydia nudged me with her paper.
"You've got a really pretty voice" She whispered. "Why haven't I heard it before?"
I felt myself blush a bit and laughed.
"I don't like using it too much. But, thanks...you do too."
She smiled and glanced away. The tension between us started to loosen.
The cast went on to preform a few more songs eventually stopping just after "A Winter's Ball". Lydia recited all her lines without issue, I could easily picture her in a real Broadway musical.
     Ms.Livingston stood up and stretched.
"Annnddd, we'll stop there! Amazing job you guys! Remember to grab all your things and take your scripts with you. I'll send a reminder for our next rehearsal. Have a nice day!"
       BJ stood up along with the majority of the class and turned towards Lydia and I.
"Yeahhh...that was boring as hell. But you two were good! Got some nice vocals kid." He winked at me and slung an arm around my neck.
"Haha, thanks BJ! Did you hear Lyds too?"
He grinned "How could I not? That was the only part where I was actually awake." Lydia and I chuckled before turning towards the exit. I saw a glimpse of floofy black hair in my peripheral and immediately recognized it as Logan. He came closer to us, seemingly wanting to say something. My smile fell.
Lydia kept walking though, and when I didn't follow her, she grabbed my hand to guide me.
I pulled her to a stop by a nearby water fountain, maybe she hadn't seen him.
"Lyds, I think Logan was trying to-"
"He's not important right now." She cut me off. "Want to come over?"
"Uh, sure? But-"
"Great." Guess she wasn't going to let me change my mind.
Lydia tightened her grip and began walking home.
She didn't let go the entire time.
~~~
1334 words! Sorry for not updating in so long, this chapter was kinda bad :(. I have decided to continue the story though! You guys were too sweet on that a/n. Have a nice day!