Chapter 5

Camila was taken back. She hadn't expected that response and had to think about it for a second.

"Not sure. Just instinct, I suppose," Camila shrugged

"There you go." Lauren tipped her beer in Camila's direction. She couldn't have summed it up better.

"Well, okay, sure," Camila conceded the logic. "But at least you had to have had something where you realized you were outside the norm."

Lauren thought about it. She was surprised a little by the intimacy of the conversation, but there was something about Camila that just brought it out of her.

"Best I can do, I guess, is years back, when I was just starting to work in my dad's shop and some of the other guys brought in a girly calendar. Hung it up, you know?" Lauren said, remembering something from years back, "My dad saw it and said to the guys, you know, 'not around Lauren' and all that and I was like 'doesn't everyone like looking at pictures of girls?'"

Camila laughed. Lauren joined her.

"But that's, you know, not really it though" Camila continued, "I mean, I can appreciate the female form and I can look at a girl and say, 'wow, hottie.'"

Lauren wanted to point out the differences between admiration for the form and being turned on by it, but caught herself. She saw an opportunity to do some of her own digging.

"And you've never been curious?" Lauren asked slyly.

Camila gave a non-committal shrug. "Curious about being with another woman?" Camila inquired.

"Yup," Lauren said, trying to hide her interest. She very much wanted to hear Camila admit to an interest. A burning one. One she'd always had and wanted to act on, maybe in art college, but had never gotten the chance and maybe Lauren could help her realize it?

Lauren smiled to herself as she let herself get a little carried away with her imagination. Camila, however, looked fairly disinterested although contemplative.

"I mean, maybe? But I'm curious about lots of things," Camila said matter-of-factly. "What's it like to shoot heroin or eat ostrich or go walk for a walk in space. So, yeah, what's it like to bang a chick? You could say I'm curious about that. Not to the point of I gots to have it though."

"Fair enough," Lauren admitted, her hopes mildly dashed

"Besides," Camila said, hopping down from the bar and giving Lauren a terrific view of her bouncing chest. "Lesbian sex always strikes me as so random,"

"How's that?" Lauren asked, not sure if she should say anything about her friend downstairs.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's super," Camila said quickly. "But like with a guy it's pretty straight-forward. We fool around, maybe I go down on him, maybe he goes down on me but sex is pretty clearly the tab-A into slot-B act. With chicks, sex is going to vary, right? Like maybe it's that you two go down on each other or 69 or it's just fingers or it's toys. But sex can mean anything and it seems like it would take a while to get on the same page."

"Sounds like you've thought about it a lot," Lauren teased. "But that's the fun of it. It can be anything. You and your partner can work out what you like with each other and develop your routine together and eventually you find what works for the both of you."

"And that, right there," Camila said, "is one of the biggest reasons I stick to the menfolk. Because this here,"Camila's hands waived over her body, "is a relationship-drama free zone. I do not get attached and I do not find things out eventually. This machine hits and quits."

"That would make guys the safer bet, I guess," Lauren smirked, drawing back on her own experiences, had to concede that no-strings attached sex would be easier to find, especially for a gorgeous girl like Camila, among guys.