5 - The Pug

Draco's eyes flickered towards the entrance to the girls dormitories once again. Rosie still hadn't emerged yet and he was starting to feel agitated.

He hated the nights that she spent in there. But he knew he couldn't force her to sleep on the sofa every night - she had started to get a stiff neck from the lack of a decent bed.

He heard a door open and swivelled his head back instantly towards the girls dormitories. He groaned inwardly when Pansy appeared. She clocked him straight away and headed toward the sofa where he was perched, a nasty smirk upon her face.

"Missing your Mudblood girlfriend?" She spat, her eyes glinting in glee.

He flinched as she sat down next to him. He shifted uncomfortably away from her.

"I can't believe I'm saying this," she said icily, ignoring his obvious disgust, "but I prefer it when you have your sordid little sleepovers."

Draco side-eyed her warily, wondering where she was going with this.

"I don't know how you can stand it," she continued, "the things she cries out in her sleep."

Draco stilled. This was news to him, Rosie always seemed to sleep peacefully when he was with her.

"What are you talking about, Pansy?" He snarled, his fists clenched in his lap.

Pansy tittered - a sound that made his skin crawl.

"My baby! My baby! Merlin, she's pathetic!"

Draco's heart stopped.

"And who on earth is Pearl?" She continued, oblivious to his horror. "Some bedraggled pet, knowing her."

Draco shakily stood up.

"Just shut the fuck up, Pansy." He growled through his teeth.

"What's got your knickers in such a twist, Drakie?"

Before he could answer, new footsteps entered the common room from the girls dorms and Draco's eyes flew to the owner. Rosie.

Draco's heart clenched as her tired eyes met his. He wanted to so much to gather her in his arms, but instead he stood frozen. She never talked about the baby. He was a fool not to have asked her about it. He had assumed she wanted to forget. But of course she wouldn't. How could he ever think that?!

Draco found himself hating himself all over again.

"Draco?" She asked, looking confusedly between him and a smirking Pansy.

"Oh don't worry," Pansy cackled, seemingly enjoying the uncomfortable atmosphere. "I wouldn't touch him again. Not now he's been contaminated by such filth."

Draco threw a sneer down at Pansy before crossing the room towards Rosie, closing their space with haste.

"Rosie," he breathed, as he gathered her in his arms.

"Draco, is everything OK?" she asked him anxiously. Worry was etched over her face.

"No," he answered honestly, surprising himself.

"I was just informing him of your pitiful night time ramblings," Pansy screeched loudly from the sofa. People around them stopped talking as they stared interestedly at the furore. Rosie stilled in his arms.