12 - His Mother

Rosie

Draco never stopped surprising me. I looked down at the emerald nestled amongst the sparkling diamonds on my finger and my heart swelled with happiness.

"It's certainly a ring fit for a Slytherin Princess," Hermione breathed when she spotted it at breakfast the following morning.

"Trust the Slytherin Prince to make the rest of us look bad," Ron grumbled, eyeing the ring warily.

Instinctively, I looked back to the Slytherin table and my eyes met Draco's. A playful smirk tugged at his lips.

A pleasant warmth spread right through me. I felt like the luckiest woman alive.

***

It was during their Potions lesson when a third year Ravenclaw delivered a message to Draco; a request to go straight up to the headmistress' office at once.

Rosie glanced at him, a look of worry flickering over her features. He gently squeezed her fingers, letting her know it was OK.

Grabbing his bag, he slowly sauntered out of the classroom, making his way to the headteachers office. He still thought of it as Dumbledore's, despite it having since been Snape's. Draco swallowed as he thought of the now dead wizards. He had a heavy feeling that another one was about to be added to the list.

"Draco, please sit," McGonagall motioned towards the carefully positioned chair in front of her desk.

She looked somber, Draco noted, as he heavily plonked himself down. This was not a good sign.

"It's my mother, isn't it." He stated. His voice came out harsher than he had meant it to.

McGonagall looked at him sadly and she slowly nodded her head. "Yes."

Draco felt his stomach twist. He could feel sweat building in his palms and he suddenly felt as if the air had left the room.

"I'm sorry to say that she passed away in the early hours of this morning."

He could hear her saying the words but none of them seemed to be making sense in his mind. He suddenly longed for Rosie. He wanted her calming touch, he needed it more than ever right now.

He looked down and was horrified to see his hands were trembling. He grabbed at them, trying to control the shaking.

"Draco, I know this news must come as a shock to you. Can I get you some chocolate?"

Chocolate? Draco wondered what in blazes this woman was going on about. His mother had just died and she was passing around chocolates.

He shakily stood up. He needed to get away from this office.

"N-no... I'm fine." He stumbled slightly as he reached for the door.

"Draco, I really think you ought-"

But her voice cut off as the door shut behind him. His heart pounding, he skidded down the stairs, just wanting to get to Rosie. The bell had already gone but he was praying that she had gone back to the common room.

However, as he got to the bottom of the spiral staircase, there she was, waiting for him.

"Draco?" She gasped as his arms flew around her. He clutched her to him tightly, welcoming the feel of her soft warm body against his. To his horror, tears started falling down his cheeks, landing in her hair. He was aware of his body wracking as the sobs overtook him.

"Draco, what's happened?" Her worried voice was muffled against his chest. She looked up, cupping a hand on his cheek, wiping his tears away. This gesture only made him cry harder.

He closed his eyes tight, trying to stem the flow of tears.

"My mothers dead." He whispered, his body shaking at saying the words out loud.

Rosie gathered him to her, holding him fiercely as he continued to sob. "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry," she kept whispering.

He managed to eventually compose himself, and allowed Rosie to take his hand and lead him back down to the dungeons. The common room was thankfully quiet, students still in classes. Rosie pulled him down onto the sofa, he lay down and placed his head on her lap while she stroked his hair until he eventually found the peace of sleep.

***