6 - Narcissa Malfoy

Draco glanced at Rosie, steeling himself for what he was going to say next.

"Come back to the Manor with me."

Rosie looked up from her cauldron, ceasing the stirring. Draco quickly grabbed her hand that was holding the ladle and continued to guide it round in a clockwise motion.

"Don't stop or it'll curdle," he muttered.

"You want me to go back to the Manor with you?" She asked, eyes wide as they continued to stir the potion together.

"For Christmas." He coughed, clearing his throat.

"Oh," she simply said.

Draco waited for her to continue but she remained silent. His heart felt heavy in his chest. He knew it would be too much to ask.

"Look, Rosie," He said softly, placing his other hand gently on the small of her back. "I know it won't be easy going back there, but I want to spend Christmas with you. And my mother... Well, I can't leave her there on her own."

Rosie looked up at him. He couldn't read the expression in her eyes.

"But that's just it, Draco - your mother. Have you forgotten what she did? Do you really expect me to go and play happy families with her over turkey and sprouts?"

He had expected this. But his mother was ill and he just couldn't abandon her over Christmas, not whilst his father was rotting in Azkaban.

"She doesn't leave her bed anymore. You will barely have to see her. Please Rosie, I just can't face Christmas without you."

"And what about my parents?"

"We'll visit them too, I promise." He looked at her imploringly. "Say yes, Rosie. Please say yes."

She reached up on tiptoes, placing a light peck on his cheek. "OK, Draco. For you."

His heart soared, and abandoning the potion, he pulled her in, squeezing her hard to him.

"Thank you, Rosie. I promise I'll look after you." He brushed his lips against hers, making them both sigh happily.

"Mr Malfoy and Miss Carter!" Slughorn's voice rang out sternly and Draco stepped back, suddenly remembering where they were. "This is a Potions lesson, not a Drive in Movie!"

Some of the students tittered and Draco noticed a blush creep up on Rosie's cheeks as she hurriedly leant over the cauldron.

He smirked, turning back to his own cauldron, feeling remarkably lighter now that he knew he was going to spend the holidays with Rosie.

"Bugger," Rosie muttered. "It's curdled."

***

Rosie

I dragged my trunk out to the common room where Draco was waiting for me, dressed in his usual black suit and greeted me with a smile.

"Ready?" He asked, cupping my hair in his hand and placing his lips down on my temple.

"I think so," I muttered, not really feeling ready at all.

"You'll be fine," Draco said, taking my hand. "You've got me, remember?"

We dragged our trunks out of the castle and to the station where we boarded the Hogwarts Express. I didn't say much on the train journey. I was too nervous about facing the Manor again, about seeing his mother.

"Does she know you're bringing me home?" I asked, leaning against his chest as I watched the countryside fly past the window.

"Um, not exactly." He muttered, not meeting my eye as I turned to him in horror.