Chapter Eight: Crackling Tension

The crackling of gray-brown pebbles underneath cats' paws was heard as Graystar led WindClan down the slope and into the Gathering hollow. Their pelts glowed in a sliver hue due to the moonlight streaming down their backs. In the nearby forest, there was the faint hooting of owls as they flew through the trees.

    Stormpaw walked alongside Swiftfoot and Gorseclaw, still taking in the sights. The Gathering hollow had seemed so small from far away, but now it was spacious and extended in all directions. The ground was well-trodden with countless moons of cats walking all evening to meet at this ancient place. The air was filled with countless scents that were overlaid on top of each other. Water, undergrowth, trees, swamp, and heather aromas streamed in the air.

    Gorseclaw turned his head toward Swiftfoot and Stormpaw with an endearing smile. "It's always an incredible sight every time, isn't it? Every time I come here, I always think it's my first time."

    Swiftfoot purred, her thin tail curling at the tip. "It's always a grand sight. And there's always some interesting news."

    "So, Stormpaw. Do you want to stick with us or do you want to wander on your own? I could introduce you to some apprentices if you want." Gorseclaw asked him.

    "I appreciate the offer, but I think I'd rather stick by myself," Stormpaw told him, trying to keep his paws from awkwardly shuffling. He didn't want to be a shy apprentice who stuck with their parents. The thought by itself was just so embarrassing. "I'll only talk to the other apprentices and keep the information that I tell to a minimum."

    Swiftfoot nuzzled him affectionately, and Stormpaw turned his head and mewed out his protests.

Swiftfoot just flashed him an endearing smile. "My little warrior is growing up so fast."

    "Stoppit! I'm going to grow into the tallest warrior of them all!" Stormpaw spoke indignantly, raising his tail. His gray tabby fur was fluffed out with embarrassment, and he grew aware that both of his parents were much taller than him.

    "I'm sure you will. Just give it time," Swiftfoot licked Stormpaw's cheek, straightening his whiskers.

    "And, in the end, size doesn't matter. It's your warrior spirit and values that are truly important. It's shaping tonight under the light of the full moon and stars. I know you'll make our ancestors proud tonight," Gorseclaw purred, his voice at its familiar scratchiness.

Stormpaw looked up above, seeing the glistening stars up above. Were all of them watching him tonight? Or was it just the ones within WindClan? Or was it just one or two of them? Was StarClan watching everyone tonight? Were they judging his warrior spirit right now? A flicker of fear passed through Stormpaw, and he tried to physically relax.

    "Don't over-think it. Harefoot does enough of that on his own," Swiftfoot told him, placing her lean tail on his shoulder.

    "StarClan will be watching over you, and they will help to guide you tonight. They are not something to fear, they are cats to anticipate. StarClan watches the Gathering from up above and is just as eager as us to hear the news," Gorseclaw meowed, casting a long look at his stars above. His gaze was solemn and he nodded to himself.

    "I understand," Stormpaw swallowed the lump in his throat. "I'll be going now," He told them as he quickly slipped away.

    He searched for his fellow WindClan apprentices as he walked around the Gathering hollow. He stuck to the edges of the clearing, not wanting to get caught up in the array of pelts and scents that awaited him. It was overwhelming enough as he watched from a distance.