Chapter Ten: Preparations

Bold sunlight lit up the den, casting long shadows on the cats residing inside. Mossypaw's eyes twitched open and she squinted at the brightness of the sun. She got to her paws, naturally stretching, then she started to walk out of the den.

She noticed Stonepaw lightly dozing, his head on his paws. He shifted a bit in his sleep. Mossypaw twitched an ear, debating on whether or not she should wake him up. She recalled how the tom would often wake her up for morning patrols. He surely wouldn't mind if she did the same for him, right? Mossypaw prodded him with her forepaw and waited for his reaction.

Stonepaw blearily opened his crystal blue eyes, his pupils meeting hers. Mossypaw consciously took a step back from the dark-furred apprentice. He yawned loudly and blinked slowly.

"Is it morning already?" He asked her sleepily, starting to drift off again.

Mossypaw batted his nose. "It's sun-high, sleepyhead. We should both be awake by now."

"But, it's so much better to sleep..." He murmured, laying his head against her resting paw.

"Nope, it's awake time," She purred. She shook her paw, accidentally hitting the tom in the jaw. He flinched and got to his paws.

"Oww, you didn't need to hit me," Stonepaw grumbled, flattening his ears.

"Sorry," Mossypaw shrugged. "C'mon, let's go to the clearing. I bet we'll need to help out with something."

"Right, right..." Stonepaw's eyes brightened up. He padded out of the den rather quickly. Mossypaw followed, a bit perplexed.

Stonepaw didn't make a move to activate in a conversation with her. Instead, he roamed over to the warriors den and spoke to Glistenpaw and Briarpaw. Mossypaw didn't follow, knowing that the two she-cats wouldn't want her there. She glanced around the rest of the camp, seeing the aura of activity in the air.

Every cat was actively working inside camp. Birchleaf was barking out orders to everyone in camp. Warriors were filing in and out of camp with supplies. Apprentices weren't lying around, instead practicing their moves, making camp repairs, or going outside camp for patrol.

Sorrelleaf and Streamstar were next to the medicine cat den. The two she-cats has bristling fur and their words were hissed out to each other. Mossypaw's eyes widened as she noticed that Streamstar's claws were unsheathed.

    Mossypaw casually strolled through the camp inconspicuously. Her ears pricked and she slipped behind the nursery, which was located beside the medicine cat den. She pretended to weave in reeds while listening in on the conversation.

    "Streamstar, you don't understand. I can't just go into WindClan territory—" Sorrelleaf was cut off by her leader.

   "Why not? You do it every single half-moon! It's no issue for you then, so why is it an issue now?" Streamstar spat, her glossy fur bristling.

    "Because! It's not half-moon. It's a random day. Besides, medicine cats aren't supposed to steal herbs," Sorrelleaf added, lashing her tail.

    "You have a right to venture into other territories. You are the only cat who can go to WindClan," Streamstar growled. "Surely, you can take some herbs."