Chapter 5- Fight for him

Deku slipped ahead in front of me but froze when he actually got closer to the front of the huge middle school building.

I knew he was frightened of middle school no matter how excited he pretended to be about it. I rush over too comfort him.

I placed my hand lightly on his shoulder making him cock his head back to face me. His eyes were wide with fear of what's to come.
"Don't worry. Everything will be fine," I comforted. "Middle school's a breeze," I added quickly.

He smiled nervously at me, his smile not reaching his green eyes, before he turned back to the school. Deku took a big breath and took a huge step forward toward the school then began walking hastily. I followed him (of course)

I couldn't even imagine how stressed out Deku would have been this very day back during my past life. No one to help his immense anxiety.
I was a jerk and wasn't there to support and/or calm him at all.. But now, I was. That's all that matters.

Yet why did I feel so guilty for something that didn't even happen now?

I jogged to keep up with Deku's fast paced legs. He seemed to want to avoid being seen so he tried speeding through the front middle doors and through the hallways like an invisible bullet to his locker. When he finally made it, he heaved a long sigh.

"Nervous?" I asked him, smirking knowingly. I leaned against my locker coolly which was placed right next to Deku's.

"Is it obvious..?" He groaned. "I tried feeling excited about all of it but.. everything's so new and big and clean and- and I- I just can't-".
I saw his almost breakdown coming a mile away.

I wanted to pull him into a tight embrace, tell him that everything's okay, that this was nothing.. I guess going through middle school again kinda makes all of it less scary than it would be for a first timer. I already went though the first time stress which I quickly overcame after realizing how amazing I was.

I then really saw for first time the immense level of Deku's anxiety.

I couldn't really help myslef.
I reached for Deku's hand and gripped onto it. His eyes looked sad, holding back the flood of tears. Deku didn't pull away when I held his hand down so low to the floor so that no one around us could see. We were still supposed to be just friends. For now anyways.

I felt the urge to kiss Deku's hand but resisted.

"It's okay.." I breath to him, wanting to lean foward and kiss his forehead.

He nods and smiles up at me. A real smile.

In perfect timing, the school bell rings and the flood of invisible students starts rushing in echoing steps to their classes. I let go of Deku's hand as much as I hated to.

"See you after school?" I ask him, smiling.

"Remember, met at the tree!" Deku calls to me as he rushes down the hallways to his first class. I smile behind at him as he rushes off. I then slowly go off to my class, awaiting for school to end.

*this beautiful time skip was brought to you by the power invested in me and my words.. enjoy*

I walk out the front door too the school, the cold breeze hitting my face like a punch sending my stray hairs to blow away form face behind me. I trotted down the front schoolyard, to the pathway, on my way to the park where Deku was waiting for me.

The only thing in my mind was how our conversation would go and what we would do after. Would we continue hanging out at the park? The mall? Maybe we could get icecream..? Deku would love the new pop rocks flavor!-