-reoccuring terrors-

-somewhat angst, but fluff, references to abuse warning-

more family and moms were requested, hope this suits your desires❗️sorry it's a bit short :,)

adora woke up in a cold sweat, frantic and panicked as she gasped somewhat loudly, causing the girl next to her to get up in worry.

the feline put a hand on her wife's cold shoulder reassuringly, and spoke to her trying to maintain a calm, cooing voice,

"adora..adora..."

she sighed, frowning softly at the blonde whose eyes sparkled from the light of the two moons outside at their highest glory in the night, as it was especially late.

her facial expression remained put, unphased for a few short moments before she snapped back into reality.

"I-I'm? w-what's? are they, is she? is anyone else there? are we alone?" adora sputtered suddenly looking frantically around their room near brightmoon, shortly into the whispering woods, scanning the walls, the floors, even herself.

catra tenderly shook her, "hey, hey, hey, what's happening?"

adora raised her hands to her face, covering her eyes, wiping small tears that had formed. "ugh..."

"adora?"

"im sorry," she kept her body curled, growing frantic but quieter as her head buried in between her legs, her back arched and her hair messily dropping as she had taken it down earlier.

catra put her hand on her back, inching her way as close as she could get to reassure her she wasn't alone, and that it was safe. she rubbed said back softly.

that's been 3 times this week...

she brushed away the hair from her wife's face, as if to unveil her slightly reddened and tired eyes. she hugged her into a tight, comforting embrace.

"hey, no one else is here except for me, and belle.

adora gasped lightly, with a slight raise in her tone, "belle!" adora had started to get out of bed before she felt a shoulder stop her in her tracks.

"she's sleeping right now, she's fine. you on the other hand," catra said as she made adora lay back down again, "need to rest, for the both of you guys," she continued, looking down at adora's stomach.

"agh, you're right, you're right. I'm sorry, I keep getting these nightmares of these figures, almost like the ones shadow weaver would conjure," adora's voice sounded tired.

"I feel like I can always see her, just lurking, and if it isn't her, I can just..feel her presence."

adora looked down at her open palms, then rubbing her eye.

"I know it's dumb, she's in bright moon, but I just feel like being around her more, seeing her in the place I thought I was safe from her, it's still..uncomfortable."

"yeah," catra scanned their bedroom, "I get that a lot. I feel like she's in every shadow and to me it's instinct to be paranoid. it creeps me out.

catra's voice grew quieter, trailing. "I can't help but flinch whenever she touches me, still."

adora frowned, nodding her head, her eyes tearing up slightly at past memories of trauma they both had endured throughout their years in the horde.

"im so sorry, catra. for what she did to us, to you,"

catra quickly wiped away adora's small tears.

"hey, it's alright. it's in the past, and if she ever tries to hurt anyone ever again we'll be in it together."

"...but for now let's try to keep our mind off it; in fact, I'll go make you some cocoa. I can tell you need it, and I'm not taking no as an answer."

adora chuckled, titling her head as she did.

                                  ————

a few minutes went by, as she sat up, glaring out their window in silence, thoughtfully watching. every now and then, she rubbed her stomach for comfort, as she thought of her awaited little one.

it hadn't been too long, about a month. though, she valued every second.

the sound of soft creaking filled the room for a short moment as catra came in with two cups of cocoa as slight steam danced out of them into the air.

catra sat down their wooden bed tray, setting the cups down on them and tucking herself under the covers alongside adora.

adora blew on the hot drink before taking a small sip, misjudging how hot it was and let out a small exclaim as it burnt her tongue.

"pff-! hold on, you have to wait a bit longer. "I just made a fresh batch so belle can have some in the mornings and nights, too."

adora had rolled her eyes playfully at catra making fun of her. "how is she, by the way?"

catra gave a small, relieved shoulder bounce, "surprisingly, she's doing well. she's been a bit restless these nights, kinda like you," catra gave the blonde a small chuckle, "but she's deep in sleep, you can tell when her stuffed animal is on the floor."

"awww. she loves cuddling that thing."

"exactly! thats how you know," catra giggled.

adora smiled at her, sipping her cocoa once more as it had cooled down a bit enough for her to drink its rich goodness.

"thanks, again. for being there for me."

"awh, no need to be mushy, it's my job as your wife, you know!"

"I know I know," adora laughed, "but still! I'm such a dork. I wonder how you deal with me sometimes because I sure know sometimes I can't even deal with myself."

catra chuckled, "that's exactly why I love you adora, you're too much of a dumbass, but lucky for you I like cute dumbasses."

adora shot catra a glare, then nudging her away from her playfully.

"it still blows my mind though, how far we've come. just a few years ago I was sure that you hated my guts and we were destined to be enemies."

"let's be glad it didn't turn out that way. I know I am, if I would've know a few years ago where I would be now, it would've helped immensely to have known it would be worth it all," catra chuckled, "I mean of course it was worth it, and more. but it would've been a really great motivation, haha!"

adora smiled, "me, too."

they finished up their last sips of cozy warmth, setting the porcelain to the side with its delicate clinks.

"you sure this isn't a dream, catra? am I gonna wake up in bright moon, feet and arms aching after the war?"

"haha, I don't think so, adora. then again, even if it was, I don't mind at all."

"a fair point indeed."

catra chuckled, "c'mon, it's like, what,"

"1 am?!" catra's voice raised slightly,

"sorry, sorry, but now we should really go to sleep. if I get past 2, I am not sleeping."

they both snuggled up under their blankets, melting in the warmth as adora giggled.

"well, I guess we both aren't going to, then."