Chapter Eight: The Evenstar

There is a whole flashback scene which will be indicated by the italics although usually use italics to indicate that the two characters are speaking Elvish which also happens in this chapter. I do this because I don't know how to speak Sindarin or any form of Elvish so I just lazily use italics.

Elvish

******

Aragorn slowly watched as the Fellowship trudged along towards Moria. He looked over the group and frowned. The Hobbits looked miserable as their wet clothes clung to their small bodies and their lips turned an unusual shade of blue. Although a small smile curved on his lips when he caught a glimpse of the copper haired girl who seemed to have a gift of foresight. Her clothes were also wet and clung tightly to her body but she still had all four Hobbits pressed close to her, trying to share as much of her body heat as she could with them.

He continued to admire the way her brown eyes would always stray to the Hobbits as if she feared that if she looked away for even a moment then something would happen to them. He admired how she always indulged their every whim; laughing at every joke told by young Pippin and Merry while also listening and comforting Sam and especially Frodo when they needed comfort.

She was a good person. A truly good, caring person in a world where beings like Sauron existed. He couldn't deny the absolute fascination he had with her. Not with only her strong gift but with her. While others did not know where she came from, he wanted to know that about her. He wanted to know her likes and dislikes. What her favourite food was or her favourite memory from her life. But most importantly, he wanted to know why she seemed to believe in him. Why even when he thought of himself as a weakness, did she still look at him with those faithful, brown eyes of hers? Why did she believe in him when he could not.

Her brown eyes connected with his blue when she took a glance behind her, catching him in his act of staring. He forced himself to hold her stare instead of looking away like a blushing maiden when Adara smiled brightly at him then turned back to talk to Sam about something; probably that fried chicken thing. She really seemed to love it.

He was so caught up in his head that he did not notice that they were now at the base of the mountain. Gimli speaking up brought him out of his thoughts, "Dwarf doors are invisible when closed."

The Dwarf knocked his ace against the rock face of the mountain as each member of the Fellowship move along, trying to find any indication of an entrance. "Yes, Gimli, their own masters cannot find them, if their secrets are forgotten."

Legolas muttered snidely, "Why doesn't that surprise me?" Aragorn had to hold in a chuckle but Adara had no such qualms and instead laughed loudly, her mirth echoed all around them. Gimli grumbled under his breath about woman and Elves before going back to trying to find the entrance.

Adara's laughter soon died down, her shoulders stopped their shaking as she dramatically wiped the tears from her cheeks. "Nice one hippie." She walked past him towards the mountain, pulling the Hobbits along with her. Aragorn's eyes followed her as she walked away when he heard a snort from next to him.

"If you stare any harder, you might burn a hole through her body."

Aragorn glared at the Elf next to him. "I don't know what you mean." He replied before moving to try and help the others. Legolas kept up with his fast pace.

Stupid Elf.

"You do not need to lie to me, my friend," Legolas looked over at their copper haired friend who was currently laughing at whatever the Hobbits had said to her while a grumbling Gandalf, Gimli and stoic Boromir looked on. "I know you care for her."