chapter 23

Author Note: I know the updates of this story is slow but I am currently working a bit on my other story "the monster king". Will try to update this as much as I can. Please leave your reviews and comments, votes and follows.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell! You scared me!" Kriya shouted, pushing the person away who was hovering over her. The unexpected encounter had caught her off guard, and the surge of adrenaline made her react with a mix of surprise and frustration.

"Missed me?" he repeated, a hint of arrogance in his voice.

Kriya, still recovering from the shock, retorted, "What kind of sick joke is this, Xavier? You can't just sneak up on people like that."

Xavier chuckled; his demeanor unapologetic. "Just wanted to make sure you haven't forgotten me."

Kriya rolled her eyes, pushing past him. "Trust me, forgetting you would be a blessing."

Xavier checked Kriya out from head to toe, his gaze lingering on her as he gave a coy smile. "I never knew you had this side of you also," he remarked, his tone carrying a mix of surprise and amusement.

Kriya, unimpressed by his insinuation, crossed her arms defensively. "Don't mistake my presence here for something it's not. Now, excuse me," she said, attempting to move away from the corner and regain control of the situation.

Xavier, undeterred, leaned against the wall, a glint of mischief in his eyes. "Relax, Kriya. It's just a party. No need to be so uptight," he teased, his words hinting at a deeper familiarity that left Kriya uneasy.

Kriya shot him a skeptical look, unconvinced by Xavier's casual demeanor. "Your idea of a party seems a bit too personal," she retorted, keeping a safe distance.

Xavier's coy smile only widened, and he took a step closer. "You never struck me as the party type, but I guess people surprise you."

An uneasy feeling settled in the pit of Kriya's stomach as Xavier's words lingered. She couldn't shake the sensation that there was more to his presence than just a coincidence at the club. Despite her attempts to brush off his comments, a sense of discomfort clung to her as she decided it was best to distance herself from the enigmatic Xavier.

"You have a habit of running away from things," he stated, leaning against the wall. Deep down, Kriya felt the weight of his words, realizing they held a different meaning for her. It was somewhat true; she tended to run away from things—her feelings, her past, and so much more.

She shrugged off the comment, feigning nonchalance. "Maybe I just prefer to avoid unnecessary drama. Now, go back to the girl whose face you were eating off," she quipped, attempting to deflect the conversation away from her own introspections. Kriya took a step away, intending to distance herself from the encounter with Xavier and resume the night on her own terms.

Xavier chuckled, unfazed by Kriya's attempt to divert the conversation. "You're always so quick with comebacks," he remarked, his gaze lingering on her for a moment longer before he finally relented.

"Fine, Kriya. I'll leave you to your drama-free night," he said, pushing himself off the wall. As he walked away, Kriya couldn't shake off the unsettling feeling that lingered, wondering if Xavier's unexpected presence would cast a shadow over the rest of the evening.

This man could make her blood boil at any minute. Why couldn't he leave her alone and mind his own damn business? Either he was taunting her, and the next minute he was all open up, and the very next second, he behaved like an idiot. Sometimes she wished to push him off a cliff so bad. The unpredictable rollercoaster of emotions he stirred within her left Kriya frustrated and yearning for some peace from the complexities he brought into her life.