•FIFTEEN• In Which We Climb Mount Fraught

Word Count: 2124

You're Quigley Quagmire?" Violet asked. "We heard you perished in a fire," Klaus told him. "I survived." He said simply. "The night of the fire I was unable to sleep. I went downstairs because I knew my mom was down there. We were talking until she started to smell smoke. She guided me to a trapdoor in the floor of the kitchen. She told me to climb down the ladder and she'd come back for me later. She never came back. I was an orphan."

"We know exactly how that feels." Violet consoled. "I know you do." Quigley said stonily. "I followed the tunnel until it led to a house. It was filled with reptile cages. I guess they used to hold snakes or something."

"Our Uncle Monty lived there," Klaus remembered sadly.

"No one lives there now." You told them.

"At the house, I met her." He pointed to you, and you pulled your mask off and smiled at the Baudelaires. "Nice to see you again." You said. "We thought Count Olaf kidnapped you!" Violet said, rushing forward to hug you. "I'm so glad you're okay! Never do that again." Klaus lectured.

"Sorry, sorry." You told them. "Continue with the enthralling tale of your adventures." You told Quigley.

"We took the trolley from the house to Mount Fraught and hiked until we got chased into Carmelita's cave by snow gnats." Quigley shuddered.

"This place was my last hope for finding the location of my brother and sister." Quigley sighed.

"Duncan and Isadora are safe," Violet told Quigley. "They escaped Count Olaf in a self-sustaining hot air mobile home."

"May I ask how they got into that situation?" You raised an eyebrow.

"How do you know?" Quigley asked, ignoring you.

"We helped them," Violet said.

"Where are they?" Quigley interrogated.

"We're not sure, but they are safe," Klaus confirmed, smiling. The smile dropped off his face when he continued "We were hoping to find one of our parents up here. But we're glad we found you."

"Me too?" You joked. "I still exist, just in case you haven't noticed."

"Yes, Y/N, we're glad we found you too."

"And we'll save Sunny," Quigley promised. "You saved my siblings, Baudelaires. Let me help you save yours."

• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

The four of you walked outside onto the balcony. "Look, green smoke." Violet pointed to the highest peak of Mount Fraught. "That's odd," Klaus said.

"No kidding." You responded sarcastically.

"It's coming from Mount Fraught." Klaus pointed out.

"Wow, I never could have guessed." You rolled your eyes.

"It's a Verdant Flammable Device. Quigley said.

"English, please. Or sarcasm. Those are the only two languages I'm fluent in." You said.

Quigley started to explain, but you cut him off. "Oh yeah, and Pig Latin."

"V.F.D uses them for sending signals," Quigley explained, ignoring you yet again.

"So it could be someone from V.F.D," Violet said.