•TWENTY• In Which Some Seriously Bad Things Happen.

Word Count: 1045

"No, no, no," You muttered.

"Carmelita, you have to leave. Right. Now." Violet said.

"What are all you Cakesniffers doing here, and why does that old lady have a knife to that idiot's neck?" Carmelita asked unconcernedly. The Woman With Hair But No Beard removed the knife nonchalantly and shoved you over to your friends. You stood behind Quigley and wiped the blood off your face with your sleeve.

"Hello, little girl." The Woman With Hair But No Beard spoke in a sickly sweet voice, tucking the knife back into her coat. "We're here to help you celebrate False Spring."

As Carmelita's cheeky little face spread in a smile, Violet warned, "They're not here to help you celebrate False Spring, They're here to kidnap you!"

"I'm too adorable to kidnap." Carmelita reasoned, tugging on an auburn ringlet. "Give me that Springpole." She ordered, and one of the snow scouts rushed forward to hand her a pole with a flag at the top that read "False Spring Queen"

"Please turn around and lead the Snow Scouts someplace safe." Klaus asked, the tension in his voice clear.

"Pay no attention to those cry-babies." The Woman With Hair But No Beard dismissed with a wave of her hand. "Why don't you step closer so we can give you our congratulations on becoming False Spring Queen."

"No, Carmelita, don't trust them." You warned, holding a piece of your torn sleeve to your cut cheek.

Carmelita smirked, tossed her ringlets over her shoulder and took a step forward. Then another. And another.

"I crown myself False Spring Queen." She now stood next to the Woman With Hair But No Beard and the Man With A Beard But No Hair.

"Now, why don't the rest of you step forward to congratulate your new queen." The Man With A Beard But No Hair coaxed. The other eight snow scouts stepped forward nervously, unknowingly right onto a large circle of fabric.

"No!" You shouted at the idiot scouts.

"It's a trap!" Ackbar -Sorry- Quigley added.

The Man With A Beard But No Hair whistled, a loud, shrieking whistle, and four gargantuan eagles swooped down from the sky, each taking opposite sides of the fabric circle the kids were standing on. They lifted the bundle of wriggling kids into the sky and off towards the horizon.

"No!" You said hollowly. "Oh, shiz muffins."

"We were prepared to take you back, Olaf." The Woman With Hair But No Beard said, shaking her head in disapproval.

"But instead, we're taking your car." The Man With A Beard But No Hair finished, waving a pair of car keys above his head.

Olaf reached into his pocket and felt around, saying in a surprised voice, "Wait, how did you steal my keys?"

"We'll be in touch." The Woman With Hair But No Beard said, pursing her lips and turning to walk towards Olaf's car.

"That'll be a first," Olaf muttered very loudly.

"I was talking to Miss Squalor." She said in disgust, not even turning around to face him. "We're impressed with her work. We'll contact you with your next assignment."

You snorted.

"You think that's funny, Miss Y/N." The Man With A Beard But No Hair said, turning to look at you with a gleam in his eye. "You may have weaseled out of this one, but we'll get you some time or other, and you sure won't be laughing then."

You gulped and ducked behind Quigley.

"Safe travels!" Esmé called as the two menacing figures drove away in Olaf's beat-up brown car.

"We need to get out of here!" Quigley said in a hushed tone, retreating back towards the waterfall.

"You're not going anywhere." Olaf snarled. "I only need to keep one of you to get your fortune. Which should it be?" He smiled wickedly at the Baudelaires, and you realized they were the only ones he cared about. He could either kill you and Quigley, or he could let you go, and it wouldn't make a difference to him either way. You really hoped he chose the latter.

"You should keep Klaus." Carmelita volunteered ruthlessly. "Then, you could smash his glasses and watch him bump into things."

"What an adorable little girl!" Esmé cooed. "Would you like to join us?"

"Uh, we should discuss that first," Olaf grumbled, but Carmelita paid him no mind and ran to hug Esmé.

"Hey cakesniffers, now I have two sets of parents more than you!" She smirked.

"Any last words?" Olaf sneered, drawing a wickedly sharp knife out of his coat with a sneer.

"𝓙𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓞𝓷𝓮!" Sunny Baudelaire's voice called as she pushed a large sled across the snow.

"𝓡𝓸𝓼𝓮𝓫𝓾𝓭!!! " The sled came to rest on the edge of the waterfall, and the four of you climbed on hurriedly. Sunny sat on Violet's lap and you and Quigley sat in the back. Klaus climbed on behind Violet, and Sunny gave a little push. The sled plummeted off the waterfall, barely skimming the extremely downhill slope. You screamed on the way down.

The sled hit the bottom of the waterfall in a shower of ice shards and continued speeding down the much less vertical frozen river. You came to an especially sharp turn in the river and you lost your balance, tumbling off the back of the sled.

"Y/N!" Violet called after you frantically, but the sled kept on sliding, leaving you behind. You saw the sled take another turn, and it was out of your sight. You heard a yelp of surprise, then Violet yelling out Quigley's name. A few minutes later, footsteps ran towards you across the ice and Quigley came running around the corner. "They're going to meet us at the last safe place," he told you, taking ahold of your arm and pulling you to a standing position. "We'll meet them there, okay?"

"Yeah." You confirmed. "But how do we get there?"

"I've got an idea." he showed you his map, and traced his finger along a narrow line labelled Stricken Stream.

"We follow the river, which we're on right now, and we'll come to a small town. We can ask for further directions from there."

"Okay, looks like we've got a plan." You said. You took Quigley's hand in yours and you trudged off down the long, frozen path together, heading to the last safe place.

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

  So, that was the last chapter of the story. I hope it was worth your time, because I had a lot of fun writing it!

Bye for now, LianLily