Chapter 4

Dear Wonderful Readers:

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I've been busy with all kinds of crap. Mostly school stuff and chores.:/

I'm working on other stories as well and have halloween stuff to plan so, I'm sorry if I update late again.

So, please, Enjoy the chapter.:)

~~~

I couldn’t believe I’d chickened out. Though, I couldn’t tell them yet. I wouldn’t tell them yet. Not until I knew if my feelings and thoughts were true.

          I was now in the common room, looking for my book. I had already checked in my room, my trunk, and now the whole common room. I couldn’t find it. I was officially frustrated. Madam Pince was going to murder me if I lost that book. I looked up at the big grandfather clock, it was dinner time. I sighed and walked tensely out of the common room.

        A few minutes later, I was in the Great Hall. I hadn’t talked to Ginny or Hermione since the conversation in the common room. I stroll in shyly, and sit down across from Harry and Ron, Hermione and Ginny hadn’t arrived yet.

          “Hi Harry, Hi Ron.” I greeted them softly.

          “Hey.” Is all they replied. Their attention was focused on the Slytherin table. I turned around, looking over at exactly who they were staring at.

           It was, of course, Malfoy. He was a few seats away from his “friends”. He looked… depressed. He had dark purple circles under his eyes, his skin was more pale than usual, and he was staring blankly at his silver plate, which was empty. I would have to ask him what was wrong once I was in our common room.

          “Have you figured out what’s wrong with Malfoy?” I asked Harry and Ron, they looked over at me.

          “I haven’t the slightest idea, but, all I know is he looks the same, or maybe a little worse than he looked during sixth year.” Harry told me, a serious tone in his voice. A few moments of silence passed as they glanced back over at Malfoy, and I wandered off into my thoughts.

          “He’s probably pouting about Greengrass breaking up with him.” Ron side commented. I glared over at him.

          “Ron, he loved her, and found out she was cheating on him with his best friend.” They both quickly looked at me, surprised that I had spoken up.

          “Why are you sticking up for him, and how do you know that?” Ron asked suspiciously.

          “I don’t know. I just kind of feel sorry for him. He looks so… so empty. Like he doesn’t have anything left in him to live on. ” I replied, pity in my voice.

           “And it’s none of your concern how I know.” I added.

          “I think it’s more than that.” Harry piped in, smirking. I looked over, trying to control myself from turning color.

          “There’s nothing more to it! What makes you think that?” I asked him madly.

          Before he could answer, Hermione and Ginny arrived, which ended the conversation entirely. They then began greeting each other like always, a gentle peck on the cheek or a warm hug. I had sometimes wished that I had a great relationship like Harry and Ginny or Ron and Hermione. But that, sadly, wasn’t going to happen. No one would like me, the geeky, not-so-pretty, Gryffindor Head Girl.

          I quickly glanced back at Malfoy. He looked up from his blank stare. My pale-green eyes caught his miserable grey ones. I shyly looked away. “You alright Charlotte?” Hermione asked solemnly, her expression filled with concern.

          “Yeah, I’m just hungry.” I reassured. She smiled back in response, but I don’t think she was completely convinced. I began filling my plate with food. I took a sip of my pumpkin juice, thinking of what could happen next.