Chapter 6

Readers:

Sorry it took so long to update. Didn't have internet for a couple of days. Enjoy the chapter! And if you would please, Vote and Comment!:)

o.o.o.o.o

At last, we reached the portrait that guarded the Slytherin common room.

          The dungeons were dark, dingy, and most of all, scary. The air was cold and smelt of dead mice. The torches along the wall were dim and made little light to see the pathway of the corridor, so the three of us had to use our wands for light.

          “It seems Filch has failed to complete his duties.” Malfoy commented, looking around the abandoned dungeon corridor. I looked up and couldn’t believe my eyes.

          Severus Snape stood in the portrait before me. His eyes were narrowed, his greasy, coal-black hair hung in his face, and his abnormally large nose was pointed directly at us. He looked exactly the same as the last time I’d saw him.

          “Password?” He asked McGonagall, his expression stern.

           “Anguis.” McGonagall answered, returning the stern expression.

          As we entered the common room, I whispered Nox, and the light from my wand was extinguished.

          The common room was full of either frightened or angry students crowded into it. Though, one girl was in one corner of the room, surrounded by a little crowd of students. She was on the floor, rocking back and forth on her heels of her bare, pale feet. Her eyes were wide open, her face was as, or more, pale than a ghost. Her expression was blank, but her eyes were frightened. What had happened to this poor girl?

          The crowd parted as we walked through it. I got several glares from a few seventh year Slytherins as I stepped past them. Once we reached the girl, she was still continuously rocking back and forth and staring wide-eyed into space. McGonagall knelt down and met the girl’s big, dark-chocolate brown eyes. McGonagall placed her hand gently on the girl’s shoulder. She jerked back as if she didn’t know that someone was right in front of her; McGonagall quickly placed her hand to her side.

          “Mallory Fice, is it?” McGonagall asked the girl softly, not even blinking.

          “Y-Yes, Professor?” She replied, her voice soft and trembling.

          “I need you to stay as calm as you can, oh, and please, don’t move.” She told the girl. I hadn’t the slightest idea what McGonagall was going to do next, and by the expression on Malfoy’s face, he didn’t have the slightest idea either.

          She then pulled her wand out from her robes. “I need you to focus on what happened to you, exactly as it happened. Can you do that for me Ms. Fice?” She asked. The girl nodded.

          Then, a mere second later, McGonagall pressed her wand to the girl’s temple. The girl closed her eyes tight. At that very moment, silver liquid, that looked almost as if it were strands of hair, came from Mallory’s temple to the tip of McGonagall’s wand. The tip of the wand became a bright light.

          “Someone hand me a flask, quickly now.” McGonagall told us all.

          I nearby first year handed her one quickly, and she put the tip of her wand on the tip of the flask. The strands of silver liquid then floated to the very bottom of the flask, the silver glow still shining and the strands swirling slowly.

          McGonagall stood up from her position on the floor.

          “You two mind picking up Ms. Fice and helping her to the Hospital Wing? Madam Pomfrey has already been notified about this particular situation.”

          “Not at all, Professor.” We both replied in unison.

          We walked a few steps closer to her, and Malfoy and I offered our hands. She took them, and slowly, and a little shakily, got to her feet. We supported her with our shoulders (with a little difficulty on Malfoy’s part since he towered over the both of us), and one of our arms on her back in case she lost her balance and fell backwards.

          A few seemingly long minutes later, we appeared in the Hospital Wing. We laid Mallory down in a nearby cot. Madam Pomfrey rushed out of her office, her hair that was usually in a bun, was down and unkempt. She was in her night robes. She looked from us, to the girl.

          “Is this Ms. Fice that the Headmistress notified me about?” She asked.

          I glanced at Malfoy, and he glanced at me. We both quickly looked away. “Yes, Madam.” I told her softly.

          “Well then, you two may go. Thank you for your help.” She told us. “You welcome.” I replied.

          We both turned around and left, not speaking to or looking at each other. I was dreading being alone with him. What has gotten in to me? What has gotten in to him? We almost… kissed. We are enemies. Enemies are not supposed to kiss. Let alone communicate in a good manner. What is happening?