Chapter 5

Readers:

Sorry to keep you waiting. I've had a hell of a week so far. Can't wait to get back to school! I'm on fall break. I miss my geeky besties.

I also apologize if Malfoy comes off a little too harsh or Charlotte comes off as a a bit... well you'll see. Tell me what you think, and please.... VOTE! And also, if you could... recommend this novel? Thanks.

Well... Enjoy. Please.:)

 + + +

Well, now I’m back in the cozy common room. Malfoy hadn’t arrived yet from dinner, so I was sitting on the couch, in front of the blazing, relaxing fire. Sparks of bright red, orange, and yellow popped out every so often as I watched it closely. Not having a book to read was driving me mad. I suddenly heard the portrait whole creak open.

          “Finally.” I thought as I stood up from the couch. Malfoy came through the portrait whole, looking very lanky and despondent.

           “Are you okay, Malfoy?” I asked him kindly, as he passed by me as if I were not there. He stopped in his tracks and turned around to face me.

          “Do I look okay to you Kington? Do I look like I feel just bloody fantastic? Huh?” He snapped angrily, his nostrils flaring. Every word he spoke his face came closer to mine. His cold eyes bore into mine, making me shrink and feel frightened of him. I should not have said anything.

          “I-I’m sorry Malfoy. I was just seeing if y-you needed comfort.” I stuttered, feeling as if at any moment he would slap me or something. A tear streamed slowly down my cheek. He stared at me silently, still enraged.

          “Why did you stay up and wait for me?” He demanded.

           “I-I wanted to make sure you were okay. You seemed a bit… off at dinner.” I explain softly, choosing my words carefully.

          “I was not acting a bit off, I am perfectly fine.” He told me stubbornly, leaning away from me. I whipped away the fallen tears off of my cheeks.

          “Sure, Malfoy. That’s why you looked so miserable. None of your so-called “friends” said a word to you, and you didn’t even eat.” I told him.

          “So you were staring at me.” He said, a smug smirk planted on his face. “I was not staring; I was only glancing over at you.” I explained.

          “Yeah, sure, whatever you say Kington.” He said, rolling his eyes, still smirking.

          “Seriously Malfoy, I was not staring at you. Harry and Ron were because they think you…” I stopped, knowing he was going to be mad again.

          “Go on.” He prompted; a little anger shown in his expression. I rolled my eyes, sighed, and went on.

          “They think you look more depressing than you did during sixth year, since, well… you know.” I told him, making sure not to get into specifics.

          “Well you can tell Potter and Weaslebee to mind their own bloody business.” He barked back. I was taken aback, not knowing what else to say. I stood there for a second, thinking of what to say next.

          “Can we just forget this conversation ever happened? Because it seems it’s upset both of us… Deal?” I asked wisely. He stood there, thinking about it.

          “Sure Kington.” He told me, holding out his hand, making the agreement official. I took his warm hand into mine, shaking it briefly.

          Suddenly, his tensed face calmed, but his brows furrowed in concentration. We stood there for a minute, looking into each other’s eyes. He suddenly pulled me closer to him, making me have to crane my neck a little to look up at him.

          He looked curiously down at me, his brows furrowed still in concentration.

          “Malfoy, what’re you-” I began but he interrupted.

          “You are very beautiful.” He told me sweetly. I looked down bashfully, my cheeks pink.

          “Yeah right, I’m the most hideous girl in the entire school. You’re just saying that to make me like you.” I told him insecurely. He put his finger under my chin, forcing me to look up into his eyes.

          “I’m serious. I’ve never seen anyone as brilliant and as stunning as you are.” He explained. By the way he looked at me, he seemed like he meant it. One minute we were looking into each other’s eyes, the next something surprising happened.

          He leaned forward, to kiss me. Thankfully, before anything else was said or done, there was a slight knock at the portrait whole. We quickly parted, both of our faces red in embarrassment.

          Professor McGonagall entered the common room swiftly. I hoped that she hadn’t caught a glimpse of anything. Her face expressed that something was wrong, very wrong.

          “You two, quickly come with me.” She demanded, before turning around and exiting the common room. We glanced at each other, and then followed McGonagall.

          After a few minutes of hurryingly walking, Malfoy asked, “Exactly where are we going Professor?”

          “Well you should know Mr. Malfoy. You used to live there.” McGonagall replied. Then, it dawned on me. We were headed to Slytherin common room. But, why?