Resurrection

I rummaged through Grammie's shop, looking for all the ingredients I'd need. After telling me what I'd have to do she had walked me back over our house to begin preparing for the spell.

"You'll need a voodoo doll to signify the body and the soul," Grammie had told me before walking into the dining room to begin making one.

I was in charge of gathering the supplies for the protection charm. Grammie had most of the ingredients in her shop, but some I'd have to mix together myself. In the corner of the room I noticed the bouquet of roses that Indigo had given Grammie. A small smile flitted across my face thinking about how kind Indigo was before I quickly went back to the task at hand.

I quickly started pulling the paraphilia from her wall of ingredients. I found the ash from a twice lightning struck tree as well as the wings of a bird that died mid-flight. They were both kept neatly in sealed jars, which I thanked my lucky stars for.

I found widow's tears and an old bible with pages ripped from it and quickly set about dunking one in the other.

I found a cat's first tooth tucked away in a chest filled with bones and teeth. I gagged a little seeing it.

I quickly found the other ingredients I needed along with the other supplies and turned towards the door.

Everything in the room radiated power; it was all giving me a small headache.

I gathered the ingredients I had and made my way to the dining room. Outside, the sky thundered.

Grammie looked up from where she was binding the doll. "Do you have everything?"

"Everything that we have. The rest I can get from Indigo or myself."

Grammie nodded. "Good. The voodoo doll is almost ready."

I watched as she cut off the frayed ends before wrapping the neck of the voodoo doll in a scrap of red fabric. Something about it looked familiar but I had other things to think about at the moment.

"Done," she announced, setting the doll down carefully before looking up to me, "Do you remember all the steps?"

I nodded.

"Good. If you mess up any of the steps there'll be hell to-"

"I won't mess up," I interrupted.

"Make sure you don't. I need you here in one piece."

I smiled at her. It touched my heart that she was scared for me.

"I'll be fine, Grammie. I promise."

Grammie didn't say anything, just stared at her hands in worry.

After a second I began putting all the ingredients in a small basket that Grammie had gotten out of the hall closet.

"Are you sure that you won't come with me? I could use your help."

Grammie shook her head. "No, Child. Just because I'm helping you doesn't mean I support this. I learned the hard way that you never bring back the dead."

It was an obvious attempt at changing my mind but it didn't work.

"I'll see you later, Grammie."

I turned to leave, taking a few steps before Grammie's voice stopped me.

"Lavender, you understand what you're giving up, don't you? Anansi will expect certain things from you for doing this. Is that boy worth it?" Worry bleed through her eyes and for a second I could see my own future in her face. Yes, I understood that I wasn't powerful enough to do this without Anansi's help. Yes, I understood that that meant that I'd have to be the sacrifice afterall. Yes, I understood that that meant I'd have no more magic, that I wouldn't be welcomed in this town ever again. But ... I loved Indigo, with all of my heart.