now playing runaway - txt

"i'm ready to drop out." mark groaned into his phone, hearing a loud laugh from the other person on the line he was talking to. school had just ended, and the boy was exiting the building while on the phone.

"not just yet, mark. you're going to have to hang in there for another few years." johnny replied with a chuckle, finding his cousin's words to be exactly like the ones he said when he used to be in high school. mark sighed knowing johnny was right, before walking into a busy retail store.

he needed to buy a pack of pencils since the ones he bought a week ago decided to disappear from his backpack. the store was packed even more than he thought, which made him start to hurry since he had a job to get to. it was his first day and he couldn't be late.

"well i gotta go, johnny. i'll text you la-"

"hi mark this is johnny's boyfriend~!!" the loud and cheery shouts were heard on the other line, making mark smile and laugh at the adoring relationship his cousin had.

"hi jaehyun," the boy greeted giddily, hearing another series of laughs from the other side. "don't mind him, jaehyun's just really hyper at the moment." johnny muttered, making everyone laugh once more. the three all bid each other goodbye soon later and ended the call.

after going through the first few isles and seeing nothing related to what he needed, plus noticing even more people enter and fill up the cashier lines, he decided to find a worker and ask. mark scanned around him, before finding someone a few isles away from him wearing the store's uniform. the boy sighed in relief, making his way over to the worker who was restocking some shelves before tapping his shoulder gently.

mark was surprised to see donghyuck turn around with slight confusion on his features.

"oh, hey... i didn't know you worked here." the older said, suddenly becoming shy. donghyuck stayed silent, eyebrows slightly furrowed as he turned back to restocking the items on the shelves. "what do you need?" he questioned, not looking at mark anymore and keeping his focus on his task. "u-uh... just some pencils." the older responded, seeing donghyuck nod slightly.

"the last isle all the way to your left side. all school and craft supplies are there." the boy told quickly, still not meeting mark's eyes for anything. "... okay. thank you." mark said, again earning another nod from the unfazed donghyuck. "no problem." he said firmly. mark silently left the latter to his work and dashed off to the isle where his could get his pencils.

and once donghyuck could feel mark out of his way, he crossed his arms and groaned.

nobody in his entire high school ever came to this retail store because it was way too overpriced, busy all the time, and far from the neighborhoods; and donghyuck was happy with that. he didn't want to work where he would see his peers. he wanted to stay out of everyone's sight and mind, so he can just do him peacefully.

but now, comes mark.

donghyuck sighed, shaking the annoying thought away and continuing to finish his routine before he had to go pick minki up from his daycare and take him home for the night. he spent until eight p.m restocking different shelves and mopping the floors. donghyuck was pretty much at the lowest status compared to his other coworkers, but he was making the money that was able to pull him and his son along each day so he didn't care. once the clock hit his time, the boy packed his things and was out the very next minute.