Before The Storm

Heartbreaker

1. Before The Storm

*****

"Dialogue" 'Thoughts'

------------------------

The heartbeat of a woman thumped loudly that slowly overtook her thoughts while her footsteps echoed throughout a quiet abandoned alley. For her, it has always been an irregular yet constant reminder of a war going on in her body that she could never win. The terror of it chases her constantly as if it were her own shadow and she is powerless to escape from it. She shook her head as if it would help clear her mind but no matter how many times she's tried, it will always be with her...always.

'Focus...just focus...stop thinking and just run.'

She finally calmed herself enough to a point that everything she was doing currently was a reflex as she ran and hopped passed object after object. While she had her battle with her mind, she was also running away from a threat outside that was chasing her at every step of the way like an owl stalking a mouse.

'Shit...I need to find somewhere to hide just to catch my breath a little.'

After a few turns throughout the maze like alleyways, she finally stopped and quickly searched for a place to hide. The woman was in early 20s, slim build, medium length blonde hair with a black cap on top, a simple but slightly tattered white T-shirt, faded black shorts with worn out black boots and had a black trench coat that had it's best days behind it as an outer layer to complete her outfit. The edge of her mouth was bruised and bleeding a bit as if she was hit by an object...or a person. In one trembling hand, she held a pistol close to her as she questioned what to do next. With ragged breaths, she looked frantically for a place small enough to fit her body and not be visible at the same time. Luckily for her, she found a small opening of a worn down building close by and quickly hid out of view as the hollering of a distant person could be heard. As soon as she managed to fit in, a 2nd pair of footsteps came within earshot along with the sounds of objects being thrown around violently.

As the footsteps got nearer, she sat down and focused on her slowing her breathing in an effort to not be heard even though she was still a good distance away from the person. With a quick search of her coat, she took out a small keychain from one of the pockets and she held it tightly in one hand while she held the gun in the other to the front of her.

'Why ...why didn't he fall like the others?' a question formed in her mind thinking of an event that just occurred a couple minutes earlier. She then looked at the keychain in sorrow and bowed her head.

'I'm sorry for always being so weak...forgive me.'

The keychain was actually 2 with the first being a light green jeweled feather that sparkled brightly even in the darkness where she sat and the second one being a rubberized yellow cartoon duck. She kept it close to her head and prayed silently as the sound of objects crashing in the background came closer.

"Hehhhhehehehe....wheeeeereee arrrrreeeeeeeee yoooooooouuuuuu? You can't hide foooooooorrrreeeeevvvvveeeeerrrrr giiiiirrrrrlllyyy!!!!! GETTTTT OUTTT HEREEEEEEE SO YOU CAN GET YOUR PUNISHMEEENNNNNNNTTTTT!!!!!" a young but rough sounding male voice yelled in a sing song way as he chuckled to himself like a lunatic. The man had short slicked back hair and wore a red dress shirt, sleek black dress pants and pricey looking black and white dress shoes. He had black gloves that were unnatural in appearance as his hands look as if they weren't normal. The man slicked back a strand of hair on his now sweaty forehead and let out a guttural growl as his patience started to grow thin.