04 | the boy in the tower

Jeongguk wrapped his lanky arms around himself and looked around nervously as he waited for Taehyung to return

Jeongguk wrapped his lanky arms around himself and looked around nervously as he waited for Taehyung to return. The day began to bleed into nocturnal, and he was suddenly recalling all of the things his mother had told him about the outside world. He wished Taehyung would hurry up with that firewood so he would not be alone.

He jumped out of his milky skin at the sound of footsteps, and he automatically gripped his necklace, his heart rummaging in the carven of his chest. He gnawed on his bottom lip to prevent himself from emitting any noises of fear.

Taehyung looked down at Jeongguk coldly when he arrived and dumped the firewood down on the grass. Jeongguk relaxed and let go of his necklace, averting his gaze to his lap. He now felt incredibly stupid, and his cheeks began to heat up in embarrassment. Taehyung sat down on the grass and grabbed a stick, turning it rapidly in his hands on top of a piece of firewood. Like magic, a vivid orange-red flame equivalent to Taehyung's hair flared, and soon the entire pile was engulfed in the inferno of orange and red. Jeongguk shuddered as the warmth of the fire radiated against his cold skin.

He could not help but stare at Taehyung. The luminous fire lit up his overly attentive features, and he overall looked the epitome of perfection. Jeongguk did not know how it could be possible. No one could just look that beautiful, could they?

When Taehyung ultimately noticed Jeongguk's gaze fixated on him, he did not get mad as Jeongguk had expected. Instead, his cheeks flushed red and his hand slipped, causing his dagger to slice his hand open. Taehyung hissed out in agony and closed his hand instinctively; dropping the stick he had been sharpening. The ivory skin between Jeongguk's brows scrunched together, he scooted over. "May I — may I see?" he asked timidly, reaching out to take Taehyung's hand.

"What could you possibly do to help?" asked Taehyung, almost mockingly, masking his pain behind his vowels that were dipped in the finest of toxins.

Jeongguk flinched slightly, but he carefully unfurled Taehyung's svelte fingers and examined the wound. "You'll see. Just — just don't freak out, please," he whispered. Taehyung rolled his eyes, but he remained silent, managing not to hiss as the taciturn wind stung his cut. Jeongguk took a deep breath and set his small hand over Taehyung's injured hand, then gripped his necklace with his other.

Taehyung watched with wide eyes as Jeongguk suddenly began to sing. His veins glowed gold and a cold breeze blew through the clearing, ruffling his hair and clothes. Taehyung wondered what on earth was happening.

Jeongguk's angelic voice faded out as he finished his song, and he slowly lifted his hand from Taehyung's. Taehyung stared down at his now healed hand, his heart pounded in the carven of his chest. "How — how did you do that?" he whispered in amazement, disbelief intertwined within his velvety vowels.

Jeongguk blushed and shrugged. "I've always been able to do that with my necklace. Mother says she keeps me in my tower because people would try and steal it," he murmured, turning his gaze to his lap.

"Have you ... never left that tower?"

Jeongguk shook his head and peeked up at Taehyung. "No. You're the first human I've ever interacted with besides my mother." He offered Taehyung a crooked smile.

"That explains why you're so awkward," Taehyung deadpanned, but he soon smiled for the first time since Jeongguk met him. Jeongguk thought his smile was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. "I can't believe you've never been out of that tower. No wonder you wanted to come with me so desperately," Taehyung said with a soft laugh, shaking his head. "It all makes sense."

Jeongguk felt that same rosy hue slather itself upon his cheeks; he smiled back at Taehyung, looking down at his lap. "Now that you know that fact about me, will you tell me about yourself too?"

Taehyung hesitated, but he decided the sheltered boy he had met in the tower was harmless. "Well, I grew up in a very poor household. It was just my father and I, and ... he was not the nicest you could say. I never had anything growing up, so I decided that when I grew up I would make a fortune so I would never go hungry again."

Jeongguk look at Taehyung with hopeful eyes. "Did you?"

Taehyung huffed and shook his head. "It's in that satchel you took from me."

Jeongguk frowned, and he found himself feeling slightly guilty. "I'm sorry. I promise I'll give it back after we see the stars. But — but how can a fortune fit inside this tiny satchel?"

"Don't worry your pretty lil head about that," Taehyung stood and shook out his previously injured hand. "Will you be okay to sleep on the grass?"

Jeongguk shrugged. "I think so."

"Good."

Taehyung settled himself down again a few feet away from the fire, where he could still feel its warmth but he would not accidently roll into it and burn to death in his sleep. "Goodnight, Jeongguk."

Said boy blushed at the sound of his name in Taehyung's silky voice, and he timidly scooted closer to where Taehyung laid. "Goodnight," he whispered, curling up into a tiny ball.

He could feel Taehyung's gaze on him for a few minutes, but eventually Taehyung seemed to look away. Taehyung had been debating on telling Jeongguk to move, but he did not have the heart. He was the only company this poor boy had, had for his entire life, however long that may be.

Eventually, they both closed their tired eyes and fell into slumber; the sound of the crackling fire became their lullaby in the peaceful night.

●¤¤¤¤●◇◇◇◇●¤¤¤¤●◇◇◇◇●¤¤¤¤●

How was it?

Imagine being stuck in a tower your whole life with some woman who claims to be your 'mother'. How would you feel in a situation like this?

Taegguk are getting somewhere.

안녕히 가세요, 모니 보라애요~💜