05 | the boy in the tower

Jeongguk woke up beside Taehyung; their bodies were so close that they were almost touching

Jeongguk woke up beside Taehyung; their bodies were so close that they were almost touching. A rosy hue rose to bubble upon Jeongguk's cheeks, the boy quickly scrambled away, and his heart roared in the carven of his chest. Taehyung was as beautiful as New Zealand waters when he was asleep. However, Jeongguk did not think Taehyung would appreciate it if they were practically cuddling.

He waited patiently for Taehyung to wake up, fiddling with his fingers. He took the time to look around. The world was so much more beautiful when he was actually at level with it instead of viewing it from his tower window.

Jeongguk's gaze then fell to Taehyung. The men were so much more beautiful when they were actually real and not mere pictures in a book.

The ebony-haired boy's eyes dart downcast to his lap when Taehyung began to stir, his cheeks flushed a cherry hue as though Taehyung would know that he had been staring at him while he slept. Taehyung let out a soft groan as he straightened up, stretching his long limbs.

"Good morning," he murmured his voice hoarse from sleep. Every resonated sound that emitted his chest sent chills down Jeongguk's spin. "Do you want to get food or start walking?"

"I'm okay with whatever," Jeongguk almost squeaked, unable to help but stare at the batch of skin that was exposed when Taehyung's shirt rode up.

Taehyung dropped his arms and looked to Jeongguk, bewildered, but his lips gradually molded into a sly smirk as he came to the epiphany of what occurred. "A'ight, let's walk a bit then we can go get food," he said, standing so he could stamp out the last of the embers before he began to walk. Jeongguk was left to grab the satchel and trotted after Taehyung, a vibrant cherry dusted hue across his cheeks.

Meanwhile, Mother Rosé followed them. She had returned from her expedition to find Jeongguk gone, and naturally, she was worried. Not about him, but about the necklace and her own safety. What if the king and queen had finally found their lost son after eighteen years? She would certainly be arrested and sentenced to death for kidnapping the young prince. Still, she set off to find him, if only to get the necklace from around his throat.

Mother Rosé drew her cloak tighter around herself, but she froze when she heard voices. She peeked out between the trees, and her blood ran cold when she saw her Jeongguk with a man. Her first instinct was to rage at him and drag him back to the tower, but she forced herself to calm down. That man was too attractive for Jeongguk anyway, and he appeared to be a criminal, too. She contemplated what she should do.

That night, when Taehyung and Jeongguk stopped for the night, Mother Rosé approached their camp. She watched from her hiding spot as the strange man told Jeongguk he was going to get firewood and left.

"Jeongguk, what are you doing out of the tower?"

Jeongguk flinched violently at the familiar voice and spontaneously held the satchel in front of his chest, his eyes widening at the sight of his mother. "M-Mother, what are you doing here?" asked Jeongguk, anxiously, subconsciously glancing in the direction Taehyung had disappeared to retrieve firewood with the optimisms that he would return and rescue him.

"I'm wondering what you're doing out of the tower," Mother Rosé replied coldly, voice able to cause hyperthermia to polar bears. "You know the rules. I'm only trying to protect you, my dear."

"I-I know, Mother, but I have a chaperone. I made a friend," Jeongguk admitted timidly, gripping the satchel so tight his knuckles shone white.

"Yes, I saw, a friend that is a man. Do you take me for a fool, someone stupid, Jeongguk?" Mother Rosé's voice rose, but she forced it to soften again and sighed. Jeongguk needed to trust her. "Your friend seems dangerous, Jeongguk. I'm trying to protect you. I don't want him to hurt you."

Jeongguk shook his head quickly. "He won't. He wouldn't. I know he looks scary, but he's nice. I like him." He found his bottom lip trapped between his teeth, regretting what he had admitted distinctly.

"He doesn't like you back, Jeongguk. Trust me."

Although, Mother Rosé was livid and disgusted, she forced herself to hide it. "I know what all men want. They'll just use you for their own pleasure and then toss you aside like you're nothing. Is that satchel his?"

"Well, y-yeah ... he's taking me to see the stars because I stole this from him and he wants it back."

Mother Rosé nodded in satisfaction. "See? I bet you anything that once you give that back, he'll abandon you. That's what they all do. You mean nothing to him."

Jeongguk winced at her candid phrase, however, he shook his head in disagreement, recalling the conversation they had, had the night prior. "That's not true."

"Yes, it is. You know I just want the best for you. I know what's best for you. Come back home with me, okay? I'll forget this all ever happened, and we can have your favorite for dinner on your birthday. Does that sound good?"

Jeongguk hesitated. He did not want to believe her. "Yes, Mother, but — but I want to stay."

Mother Rosé's gaze darkened, nevertheless, she nods crookedly. "Alright, as you wish," she drawled, behind the tranquility in her voice was strangled resentment. "But don't come back crying to me when he breaks your heart." With that, she spun sharply on her heel, and disappeared into the night.

Jeongguk's eyes stared riveted on the spot he had last seen her, his petite body trembling. He jumped at the sudden sound of footprints and sat down where he had been before swiftly, clutching his shirt to hide his trembling hands. He forged a smile up at Taehyung when the older finally emerged from the shadows with firewood.

"Hey, so, I was just wondering," Taehyung began, dumping the firewood down on the grass. "You healed my hand with your magical necklace, right? So does that mean I'll get powers or something? Maybe sup—" he cut himself off upon realizing the saddened expression of Jeongguk's exquisite features, the caramel skin between his brows scrunched together with concern. "Are you okay?"

Jeongguk blinked rapidly. "W-What?" spluttered Jeongguk. His voice sounded unnaturally high and strangled, and he cleared his throat. "Yeah, I'm fine."

Taehyung seemed skeptical, but he knew he had his secrets too, so he just accepted it and knelt to bring the fire to life. Jeongguk caved into himself slightly, holding the satchel protectively to his chest.

Taehyung was definitely concerned — Jeongguk looked as though he had seen a ghost, however, he did not want to pry.

Jeongguk, meanwhile, was manifesting each and every moment he had spent with Taehyung through his cerebrum. At first, Taehyung definitely seemed to dislike him, but he had warmed up to him after he healed his hand. That day, while they were walking, they talked practically the whole time. His mother was wrong, Jeongguk told himself. He had not met any other men, but he was certain Taehyung was nothing near the description his mother gave. He wanted desperately to believe that Taehyung was different.

He was very quiet while they sat by the fire. Taehyung watched him for a while, trying to decide if he wanted to speak, but he thought better of it. Jeongguk did not seem like he wanted to talk.

After a while, they settled down to sleep, and Jeongguk lay down a bit closer to Taehyung than normal. Taehyung noticed, but decided not to comment on it, so Jeongguk went to sleep with his mind at ease. Taehyung was different, he just had to be.

●¤¤¤¤●◇◇◇◇●¤¤¤¤●◇◇◇◇●¤¤¤¤●

How was it?

Mother Rosé is a manipulative prick! Do you think Taehyung will play Jeongguk over?

안녕히 가세요, 모니 보라애요~💜