06 | the boy in the tower

The next morning, they arrived at the festival

The next morning, they arrived at the festival. Jeongguk watched the festivities with wide, astounded eyes, his mouth slightly agape, while he subconsciously hid behind Taehyung's frame. He had never seen so many people in one place in all his life, and they all looked so happy.

In the center of the square was a fountain and behind it a large mural of the royal family. Three little girls were sat on the ledge of the mural, placing carefully braided flower crowns as some sort of offering. Jeongguk tilted his head as he watched them before his gaze lifted to the mural. The king and queen in all their glory stood regally, and the queen held a baby in her arms. The baby had chocolate eyes.

Jeongguk stared into the baby's eyes for a brief moment. Something about those eyes seemed familiar. However, soon, he dismissed it and followed Taehyung through the pretty, vibrant festival.

"When will the stars come out?" Jeongguk asked Taehyung, looking up at him innocently.

Taehyung had been looking at a booth that sold little squares of fabric with the Kingdome's signature glowing bunny-in-moon sewed on them, but he turned at the sound of Jeongguk's angelic voice.

"Hm?" he hummed.

"When are the stars coming out?"

"Why do you keep calling them 'stars'? They're lanterns," Taehyung gestures to a different booth that sold the lanterns. "And they'll be released tonight."

Jeongguk nodded slightly, "O-Okay, so ... what are we supposed to do until then?"

"Just enjoy the festival."

Jeongguk nodded again and looked around, fidgeting with the satchel. He lit up when he saw some children drawing on the ground with chalk, and impulsively, he handed the satchel to Taehyung. "Will you hold this for me?"

Taehyung was surprised, and he looked Jeongguk up and down to make sure he was alright.

"What? Uh, yeah," Taehyung shook his head. Jeongguk grinned and leaned up on his tippy toes and planted a sweet, chaste kiss upon Taehyung's cheek before scurrying off to join the children.

Jeongguk was out of breath when he finished drawing, as he had been retaining his breath in concentration for majority of the time. He pulled back to admire his work, and he could not help but smile — visual arts was the one thing he truly believed he was good at.

He stood and brushed off his chalky hands, looking around for Taehyung. His smile faltered and his heart jerked fearfully when he did not see him, and suddenly he remembered that he had given the satchel to Taehyung for him to hold while he drew. Taehyung had not ran off with the satchel, had he? God, how could Jeongguk have been so stupid?

"Hey, I got you one of those fabric things, I thought you might want a souvenir to commemorate the occasion," a deep voice spoke, and Jeongguk whirled around. Relief washed over him when he saw Taehyung, and he was so happy he hugged him.

Taehyung, again, although surprised, hugged the small boy back. "Relax, it wasn't a big deal. It wasn't even that expensive."

"No, I'm just ... you didn't leave."

"Of course not," Taehyung handed the satchel back to him with a small smile. "I haven't held up my end of the deal yet, silly."

Jeongguk flushed like Japanese cherry blossoms in March and took it from him. "Thank you. And thank you for the souvenir, Taehyung."

"You're welcome. Now, come on, the lanterns will be released soon, and I got us the best seat." Taehyung took Jeongguk's tiny hand in his and led him through the winding streets of the village, and Jeongguk blushed at the feeling of Taehyung's warm skin against his own.

As they got further and further from the village, the sounds of the festivities faded away. Jeongguk looked up at Taehyung in confusion when they arrived at a dock, but Taehyung just smiled and released Jeongguk's hand to step into the boat. The boat rocked precariously as Taehyung turned to offer Jeongguk his hand again. The latter flushed and accepted his hand, carefully stepping into the boat. It calmed down when they both were settled, and Taehyung began rowing out into the middle of the lake.

The sun had sunken below the yellow-red-pink horizon. Glowing lanterns gradually began filling the glistening night sky, and Jeongguk watched in awe. Taehyung watched the lanterns for a moment, but soon his gaze fell to Jeongguk.

Jeongguk withdrew when he felt Taehyung's eyes on him, blushing subtly. Taehyung smiled a bit and held out two lanterns. Jeongguk gasped excitedly, his eyes lit up with joy, and he turned to face Taehyung completely. He grabbed one of the lanterns, "Thank you!"

Taehyung laughed. "You're welcome. Ready? Okay, on three." Jeongguk nodded, so Taehyung continued, "One ... two ... three." They both lifted their lanterns into the air, and they soon joined the others. Jeongguk smiled to himself at the spectacular sight, and he soon looked back at Taehyung. He looked so beautiful in the lantern's light.

Taehyung met Jeongguk's eyes, and his gaze flickered down to his rosy lips. Jeongguk's heart accelerated when he took notice of Taehyung's gaze. Taehyung looked back up at him, but he soon cupped Jeongguk's cheeks. Taehyung stared fondling into Jeongguk's eyes caressing his cheekbone before he leaned in to press their lips together.

●¤¤¤¤●◇◇◇◇●¤¤¤¤●◇◇◇◇●¤¤¤¤●

How was it?

UwU~ this chapter was so fluffy, don't you think?

This was one of my favorite scenes in the movie, ㅋㅋㅋㅋ.

안녕히 가세요, 모니 보라애요~💜