Four : The Last One

After talking with Anira on the phone, I did some walking around the pack house to help digest all that food I ate and calm down my thoughts from thinking about Anira's situation.

As I strolled past the dining hall, I noticed that there were a lot of pack members sweeping and cleaning the halls.

From what I concluded, it was probably in preparation for the gathering with all the other Alphas and their packs.

Rora was standing by the front of the dining hall while pointing at some of the tables that were being cleaned. I guessed that she was in charge or something, because some people didn't look too happy following her orders.

Without another thought, I walked over to Rora and past a group of members sweeping the floor.

"Hey, Rora! Is there anything I can help with?" I asked, walking down the long winding hallway and into the dining hall where the gathering was supposed to take place.

"You're way too pregnant to be any help," a rather familiar female voice interjected from behind me. 

When I turned my head to look, Lia was standing in the back with her arms crossed over her chest.

Her long blonde hair was pulled up into a messy high bun while her makeup was on point as always. The cat eyeliner was perfectly drawn on both of her eyelids, and the hint of highlighter made her face shimmer in the light.

She looked way better than she did weeks ago.

Ever since that whole incident where Eros beat the living daylights out of her, I'd seen Lia twice.

The first time I saw her, she was limping and had her arm in a cast, bruised from head to toe. But with her werewolf healing, she had healed up not even a week after that.

She actually struck up conversation when she saw me. And it wasn't as awkward as I thought since she was willing to converse with me instead of ignoring me because of the whole ordeal.

Other than trying to make herself seem sinister and badass, Lia's not bad to hang around.

"I'm sure I can do a thing or two," I tried to protest, although I knew that it was feeble at this point.

"You're just better off sitting and watching everyone. Who knows what would happen if one of us bumps into you," Lia sternly replied, lifting a brow as if she was daring me to make another protest.

"That's true, but—" I said, not willing to give up so easily.

Just because I was pregnant doesn't mean that I was worthless and couldn't do anything. In fact, I'd seen pregnant women weightlifting and doing a lot more exercise than I had, and they were completely healthy and safe. Although I wasn't going to go and start weightlifting or pilates, I wasn't going to sit around like a tub of lard waiting for the day I expired.

"No buts," Lia replied.

"But—" I tried to say.

"No buts," Lia stated in finality, furrowing her brows and pursing her lips.

Before I could try to protest again, Rora started to giggle uncontrollably at our childish banter.

"Do you have something against pregnant women?" I asked, wondering why she was so adamant about me sitting down and staying put.

"No, but my mom had seven miscarriages before she had me, so you better have a seat," she replied with a narrow of her lined eyes.

"..." My lips parted but nothing came out. I totally didn't know what to say after that. What was I supposed to say?