Six : Premonitions

Although I was relieved at the fact that Alpha Jared was no longer a threat, I still felt immensely uncomfortable at the knowledge of Kent being the new Alpha of the pack right next to ours. 

He was a merciless werewolf who'd wanted to kill me off since the beginning because of his brother's untimely death in the hands of Sanders and Amy, my ex-co-workers. And he probably still wanted to kill me.

I could still remember the anger and hatred that had leaked in waves from his eyes and his body as he nearly choked me to death and dragged me around by my hair. Had it not been for my Breeder mark, he would have mercilessly put an end to me, devoured my flesh, and swallowed my bones, like he'd said he would. 

There would be no saying what would happen to me if I were to ever fall into his hands again.

I shivered at the thought and raised my eyes to the bathroom mirror, staring at my pale reflection as I cleaned off the bit of makeup still on my face.

My severely swollen feet were killing me because of the long hours of standing on them, and I wasn't even wearing heels. 

The pain was worse than when I was inducted into the pack, mostly because of the extra weight I now carried. If I hadn't taken a break to go eat dinner, Rora would have had to carry me bridal style back to my room, which would have been a little embarrassing on my part. 

Her fragile body was less than half my size and her spindly arms did not look like they could carry my weight, though I was assured that it was possible. She was a werewolf. She could probably carry ten pregnant women all at the same time, just like Granny Ada could.

Shaking away the humorous image of Rora carrying me up and down the stairs, I tossed off my clothes and quickly took a shower.

As my belly grew bigger and bigger, I found myself having a hard time doing many things, like taking a proper shower, for instance. Because my arms had become seemingly too short, I couldn't reach the important areas of my body and washing myself had become more time consuming than it'd used to be. 

I couldn't wash the area between my legs without struggling past my massive abdomen and I couldn't wash my feet without kneeling. As for my hair, that was another struggle all on its own.

By the time I was finally done and semi-happy with how clean I was, I was huffing and puffing like I'd just finished a long-distance running challenge. And I was starting to sweat again. Ugh.

"Done?" Eros asked, walking into the bathroom just as I put away the blow-dryer. He'd already changed out of his outfit and taken a shower because his hair was still damp.

"Mm-hm," I hummed in reply, attaching myself to Eros and inhaling his relaxing scent mixed in with his usual fresh and clean body wash. My head settled against his chest and I rubbed my face against his collarbone, allowing myself to bask in his warmth. "How'd the meeting go? Good? Nobody made a ruckus?"

"Fairly good. No ruckus," he murmured, pressing his lips against the top of my forehead in a chaste kiss.

"Have you eaten yet? I had dinner earlier with the Alpha Females," I said.

"I just finished eating after all the Alphas left." Eros lifted me off my feet and carried me out of the bathroom before setting me down on the bed and taking a seat next to me. Then, he proceeded to take a look at my extremely ugly feet that had swelled into horrific balls of flesh and showed the deep imprints of the rim of my shoes.

A noticeable frown formed on Eros' face as he lifted both my feet onto his lap and started to massage them, making sure not to squeeze too hard. "I only hope that the pups can be delivered soon so—"