Are You?

I woke up late in the afternoon not knowing what I've done the night before.
I stood up way too quick so my vison got fuzzy and I felt very dizzy, enough to make me fall back down to my chair.
I looked out the window and the feather shaped clouds came to greet me goodnight.
"Sorry, I'll make it up to you." I whispered.

Out of nowhere, someone erratically knocked on my door.
"Wake up! It's late you've got to get ready!" she yelled.
"Why? I don't remember having an appointment with anyone tonight." as I put on my glasses.
"Yeah you don't, but you promised Shilo you'd go to her party. Don't you remember?"
"Shit..."
I slowly got back up and finally got out of bed. I opened the door and she was gone.
"Your suit is upstairs, take a shower while I take care of your Uber." coming from the kitchen.

I quickly took a shower and dressed up. I wasn't really in a hurry, so I took my time on picking out the watch I should wear.

"Your Uber is here." as she bursts inside my room.
"Where the fuck did you come from?"
"Just get up, you're gonna be late."

Not even getting a chance to tie my shoe laces, she pushed me out the house and into the car.

"Mom's coming home tonight so I have to pick her up later. I can't come with you." she said.
"But it's Shilo's debut, she'll be lookig for yo-"
"Shush, goodluck. " she hands the invitation and quickly shuts the door.

The car starts moving and the driver starts playing Over October's Arbitrary. It calmed my nerves for a bit as I looked out the window. The sky was a mixture of pink, purple, and blue; it gave the clouds a cotton candy like texture to it. A plane flew by and it was so tiny compared to the clouds.

"We're here, sir." called the driver.
"Thank you." as I handed the driver his money.
I was at the venue but to my surprise, no one was there. I looked at my watch and I was already running late.
"Shit.." I ran inside, but still not in a rush.

I got inside and looks likes the party hasn't started yet. No one was on stage and everyone was walking around. I took a look at the invitation and apparently I was listed as "VIP". I walked to one of the staff and asked if there's a seperate room for the VIPs.

"Oh, are you her plus?" he asked.
"Plus? Wha-"
"Right his way sir." he walked me towards the back of the stage and walked inside the VIP's room.
"Please wait here, I'll just tell miss Shilo that you're here."
"Sure.."
I sat down on the floor, the couch looked too expensice to even touch. The room looks like a dressing room, lot's of clothes on the dresser, bright yellow lights with the velvet red walls. The sides and edges of the room were lined with gold, intricate carvings. Though it's overwhelming, I felt serene.
"Cry?" Shilo called.
"Long time, Shy.."
She rushed in to give a hug. It's been awhile so I figured It'd be disrespectful not to return it.
"I'm so glad you came!" she exclaimed.
"Yeah, happy 18th, Shy." I replied.
She smiled. She sat down on the couch and I sat down back on the floor.
She gave a weird look. It's not judgement, it's curiosity I guess.
"Will you dance with me?" she asked.
"Where? Here?" I returned.
"N- Yeah, and later for the eighteen roses thing.."
"Sure." I answered half-heartedly.

We were about to "dance" when one of the staff knocked.
"Come in.." said Shilo.
"The crowd's waiting Shilly, let's go."
She lets out a deep sigh and called me "Your chair is at table seven, it's right beside the stage. My friends will be there. Try talking to them while I'm on the spot light, okay?"
She gave me a kiss on the cheek and walked away.

Shallow.

I sat down with here friends without talking to anyone of them. One person tried initiating a conversation, but I just pretended that I didn't hear him.

Time passed and it's about to start, the eighteen roses thing. I looked over to Shy and she was whispering something to her mom.
A minute later, her mom came down and gave me a white rose.
"You'll be the last one." she said.
I nodded and she walked away.

Seventeen dances later, I was up next. I walked down the red carpet and reached out for her hand. As a new song plays, we swayed along with the beat.
The music was the wind, and we were the leaves. Turbulent, lost, but elegant.

Then I saw someone.

Red dress, long black hair, lowkey dancing along in the background.
Our eyes locked, time stopped for a moment. Then I snapped back to reality. The song's finally over.

Where is she?

I looked out the main door and she was about to leave. I let go of Shy and quickly ran after her while awkwardly swerving through tables.

"Wait!" I called out.
She stopped.
"Are you-"
"No.." she said.
"I wasn't fini-"
"I know.." she exclaimed "..aren't you suppose to be inside?"
"Yeah, but I-"
"Go back." she said.
Her long red dress touched the marbled staircase as she walked down. The light from the street lights made her earrings shimmer in the dark.
"Can I finish my question now?" I asked.
She sighed.
"Are you willing to take a walk with me?"
She slowly looked back.

Not long after, I heard someone walk up behind me.

"Cry?" Shilo called.
I look back to see her sobbing. She threw the white rose at me and ran back inside.

"Lover?" the girl asked.
"No, just an old friend." I replied.
"Well then, I'm Claire." she reached out for a fistbump.
"Cry." I returned.
"Let's go?" she asked.
"Okay."

She's an artifact, a puzzle, a mystery and a maze. She's new.

Who are you?