A Little Olive Tree

Oliver rang the bell, then waited. There was a voice from behind the door ("No! I'll open it, Lily!") but, most importantly, he could still hear the ruffle of very sneaky fingers trying to get in his bag for the fifth time since the beginning of their trip. He turned around and Wovyn pulled his hand and pretended to look at the ceiling.

"I said no," said Oliver.

"They don't all deserve cookies, you know," answered Wovyn innocently.

Oliver was about to reply that it wasn't about deserving or not, it was about giving, when the door opened and he turned around quickly, smiling at the man that was standing in front of him.

"Oh, hello Oliver," he said. "How are you? Did you want something?"

"I'm doing great!" replied Oliver a little more enthusiastically than he usually would. Not that he cared. He did feel great at the moment. "I've made those, they are for you."

The man looked at the cookie bag with amusement. "Christ, Oliver, bored again? You really are going to be giving cookies to the entire building?"

"But not to me," bemoaned Wovyn.

"Why, yes." Oliver ignored Wovyn. "I really enjoy doing them and I wouldn't be able to eat all of those alone. Don't worry about me, it's a pleasure."

Right as he said that the little girl of the family wiggled her way through the open door to stand near her father. She gawked at Wovyn openly, clearly impressed with how big he was.

"Lily, don't be rude," said her father. "Say hello to Oliver."

"Hello Oliver."

"Hello Lily," said Oliver with a wave of the hand. She was still staring at Wovyn.

"Do I say hello to the monster too?" she asked.

Her father laughed. "If you want to."

"Hello, mister the monster."

"Hello! My name is Wovyn! I hope you enjoy the cookies, they are very good."

She nodded gravely. "Nice to meet you, mister Wovyn."

This made her father laugh. He gave Oliver a look that probably was meant to mean "kids, am I right?" Oliver did his best to give him a sincere smile.

"Well then, Lily," said the man, "why don't you bring those inside for now?" He gave her the cookies and patted her on the head.

"Goodbye mister Oliver. Goodbye mister Wovyn." She turned around and escaped.

"Thak you very much for those by the way," said her father. "Lily loves them."

"It's my pleasure. Glad to hear that." Oliver didn't feel really comfortable, as the man was surveying his face carefully.

"Say," he said after a while, "call me an idiot if you must, but did you change something? New haircut? I can't tell."

"No... no, nothing." Well, something had changed but just thinking about it made Oliver bush. "I best get going."

"Right. Thanks again. If you want to drop by for a drink sometimes, you're welcome to do so. Right now my wife isn't home, but I'm sure that she'll be delighted to hear that you passed by."

"I'll make sure to do that soon, then," answered Oliver.

They bid each other farewell and Oliver moved to the next door.

"Lily was one of Eva's friends," suddenly said Wovyn. "She was often over to play. I hope she doesn't miss her too much."

"I hope so as well." Oliver looked at Wovyn. "And you? Do you miss her?"