Lola the Witch

Lola Spencer. That was the name that was written on the doorbell. Oliver was sure he had read the name Spencer somewhere else recently but he didn't remember where. Not that it mattered, not right now at least. He rang.

And then, impatient when the door didn't open in the next five seconds, he rang a second time.

"I'm coming," said a voice from within.

There was the sound of someone moving around, some other words were spoken lower, as if to a pet that was in the way, and the door opened. Oliver gasped, surprised by the appearance of the witch. He hadn't realised that, up to that point, he had half-expected some old hag with a pointy hat just like in children's books.

Instead, the woman that was standing in front of him might be his age or a little older. She didn't even have the crazy, frizzy hair or the round glasses that made eyes look so much bigger than what they were. Instead, her locks were tied back, straight and died blond and her glasses were lenses, if they existed at all. She dressed smartly but her shirt was unbuttoned as if she had just come home after a long week and had only started to relax. It was Friday afternoon after all.

"Do I know you?" she asked in a tone that showed that she clearly didn't. "What is it?"

"Are you a witch?"

She stared at him oddly, as if she was trying to judge whether or not he was telling her a joke. His heart picked up pace. Was he at the wrong place? Impossible, he had checked his paper twice.

"What do you want from me?" she asked. Her eyes were narrowed.

"I was sent here," explained Oliver. He had to be careful not to stumble over his words in his hast. "Someone... Wovyn in hurt. An imp. Do you know Wovyn? He knew you, he sent me here. With this." He showed her the paper he was clutching in his hand.

"Wovyn? Hurt again?" she said. She stared at the paper but quickly figured out that it wasn't anything important. "Come in then, quickly. I was surprised. Generally, the humans that seek me out are women so I was a little surprised to see you."

He stepped inside. He smelled herbs and drying spices in the air, which was quite nice. Her flat was well ordered but cosy. Some of the couches in her open floor plan looked very comfortable, with nice hand-made cushions. He could perfectly picture Wovyn coming here to curl upon them. Looking around, he realized that the place was a stark contrast with his. Maybe he could draw some inspiration from Lola's taste when he redecorated.

"All right," she said once they were alone. "You must be... Oliver, right?"

"Correct."

"Wovyn's been talking my ears off about you for the past week. Let me guess. He climbed somewhere to try and impress you and fell, right?"

"No... no, he was bitten. By a ghoul."

Her eyes widened in shock.

"She was attacking me and he flew to my defence," explained Oliver. "He managed to chase her and... her child, I think, away, but now he's poisoned and can't get up. He said you had an antidote."

She narrowed her eyes. "Tarmika."

"Pardon?"

"That's the name of the ghoul, I'm guessing. She's well known for causing trouble around here and she's teaching Rekin - her child - to do the same. She's a bitch. How badly is he hurt?"

"She bit him and scratched him but none of his wounds looks like they are going to make him bleed out. I'm mostly worried about the venom she put in him."