Stranding Up

Oliver, at work, was making himself a coffee when he was approached by his colleague Remy. The first thing he did was wince while the other still couldn't see his face because he didn't really like Remy. There was something about him that just got on his nerves.

"Hey, hello Oliver," said the man.

Oliver turned around with a smile. "Hello, Remy. How are you?"

"I'm fine. You seem quite happy today, it's great."

Oliver frowned. "I do?"

"Yes, you've been smiling and dare I say - you were even whistling during your work." He chuckled. "Not too much that it annoyed me, you know, it's fine. I'm glad things are getting better, you know."

Oliver was now more and more confused. "What do you mean?"

"Oh, you know, I don't want to appear as if I am making assumptions." Remy started to make himself some coffee as well, now that Oliver wasn't using the machine anymore. "You are most certainly a very capable employee, always have been. But before... how can I say that? You were always a little bit grumpy. You never smiled. Which is a shame, really, you are a handsome man. But now... I might say that I never saw you happier. Are you getting a taste for work? Maybe something happened."

Remy was the second one to tell him that he looked different since... well, since Wovyn had laid him on his kitchen table. Was that really that obvious? Oliver tunred a little red. Remy noticed and smiled.

"You've met someone, have you?" he asked. He leaned in a little, eager for more. "It's written all over your face. What's her name?"

"His name is... Wovyn."

Oliver didn't know why he said it, but he did. He tensed, expecting an outlash or the other to back away in disgust.

Remy's eyes widened. "You never told me you were into men. Wovyn? Never heard a name like that before - it's nice enough. Glad you found someone for you then."

And that was that. Oliver looked at Remy in shock for a split second, before figuring that if the other was casual then he should be too. So he forced himself to relax and enjoy the fact that he had actually come out to someone. It was the first time he did. It felt empowering.

"Yeah, he hasn't told me where it comes from," said Oliver.

"I know one or two that's going to be saddened to hear that you are taken, but I suppose they never had a chance in the first place."

Oliver made a face. He knew at least one of the persons Remy was alluding to: Rebecca had asked him if they could do on a date several times. She was a sweet woman but he knew that he wouldn't be able to make her happy. Even at the time where he felt at his worse, he rather be alone than make someone miserable with him.

"Well then," said Remy. "I best be going. Congrats, and I hope you two make each other happy. Life is too short to be miserable."

"I hope so too," said Oliver. "Have a good day."

Remy smiled and waved at him as he walked away. He wasn't that bad after all, thought Oliver. Maybe he had always been this nice and Oliver could see it now. Not that the latter minded. Maybe they could even become friends - not good friends, but friends enough that they were deserving of the title. He certainly wouldn't mind that.

_____

He could think of a dozen other places he would rather be than the pharmacy, first of which being home, with Wovyn. They had started a series together since the beginnning of the week, and although they rarely paid attention to it until the end, they enjoyed it. Or maybe the correct term was that they enjoyed each other while watching it? Oliver was a little sore between the legs from all the time they had spent together but he couldn't be happier with this new habit.