𝗢𝗡𝗘; 𝗉𝖾𝗋𝗌𝗉𝖾𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗏𝖾𝗌

||꒰𝒃𝒓𝒚𝒄𝒆꒱||

||꒰𝒃𝒓𝒚𝒄𝒆꒱||

I waved at Juli through the window, cherishing the little moment of eye contact I made with her. Oh man, if you knew how that split second sent my stomach into a whirlwind, you'd be shocked. When I realized I was grinning, I looked away, hoping she didn't think I was crazy.

"Bryce Loski! Come down here this instant," I heard my father shout.

Sighing, I pulled my window shutters down and got up from my desk. "Coming!"

As I clambered down the stairs, I could practically see Juli's face in my head. The way her hair sat on her shoulders, the way her eyes brightened when she smiled. It was beautiful. She was beautiful.

"Bryce!" my father exclaimed. "Explain to me exactly what you were doing planting a tree in the Bakers' yard! I thought that girl was fixing up the dump, and I also recall you never having a fondness for her."

"Rick!"

"Mom, it's fine," I said with a shrug. "She's really not that bad. And, I, um, the tree.. it was a peace offering, of sorts."

My father studied my face, eyebrows forming a 'V'. "And what exactly do you need to make peace for?"

"I-um.."

"He tried to kiss Juli Baker at the basketboy lunch thing," Lynetta said. What a snitch!

"Lynetta! Dad, I can explain-"

He rolled his eyes in a way that said he didn't care enough to listen. "You know we don't need to associate with that kind of people. What will everyone think when they find out both of my children are friends with that family?"

"Rick!" my mother screamed. "The Bakers are nice people, and I happen to be friends with Trina! If Bryce has a crush, so be it! Don't you remember being a child?"

I gave my mother a small, grateful smile. "Yeah, dad. I don't really care if you don't like her because I do, and nothing can change that."

He inhaled a sharp breath, but I meant what I said. My mother nodded at me and I walked off to my room. Gee, if you saw the look on Lynetta's face, you could practically feel the envy. I mean, getting away with being rebellious? With dad? That's something I've never seen her accomplish.

As I sat down on my bed, I felt a wave of contentment and excitement wash over me. Maybe Juli did like me and just didn't want to kiss in front of a crowd. Yeah, that was probably it, she's shy sometimes. And kissing someone, even if it was me, would probably be super embarrassing.

Falling away into the depths of slumber, I dreamt of what would happen tomorrow.

I saw Juli, smiling and glowing with the radiance and iridescence that she always emits. We were together, not together-together, but just existing with each other. That's cringe. But best of all, we were happy. That was the way I always felt around Juli nowadays.

•••

When I pulled myself out of bed the next morning, I couldn't help but think about what I was going to do later today. I'd ask Juli out, maybe. Or maybe not, it's probably too soon; the wound too fresh.

"Brycie!" Lynetta called as she burst into my room.

"I told you to knock-"

"I don't care. So, what's this I hear about Juli Baker?" she smirked and appeared as though she would soon explode with excitement.

"Juli? Uh, I planted a sycamore tree in her front yard yesterday," I replied, playing dumb.

She pouted, but it was fake, it was acting. "You know what I mean! Is she your girlfriend? Have you kissed?"

I shot her a nasty glare. "No. We're friends."

"Mhm. For now," she replied teasingly.

"Whatever. I'm sure the exact same thing applies to you and Skyler."

She gasped and stormed out without another word. I think that if it hadn't have been for that, I would've had the courage to confess my feelings for Juli... again. Privately, or something. But the lingering thought that we were now an "item" made me afraid to say anything romantic to her. She was probably sitting in her room thinking about how I humiliated her and she's never going to like-like me again.

"Ugh," I muttered to myself as I pulled on my dirty old sneakers. I asked for new ones, but according to my dad, we don't have it in the budget. More like he's out gambling too much, honestly. He's a coward, just like I was. Juli was right, to no surprise. She's smart. And beautiful. And.. out of my league? Funny how I wouldn't have ever thought that just last month. But now, so much had changed. Garrett's right, I've flipped.

Wandering out of the house, I wondered if today would be any different. I decided that it didn't matter. As long as I could smooth things over with Juli, everything would be fine.